Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Pronunciation: GAH-rehth BRIHN
Captain-General of the Queen's Guard in Andor and First Prince of the Sword to Queen Morgase. His sign is three golden stars, each of five rays. The sign of House Bryne is a bull wearing a collar of roses. The Bryne family estate and manor house are near Kore Springs.
He is bluff faced and stocky. His hair is gray at the temples. He looks as strong and immovable as a rock. (TEotW,Ch40) His hair is thick with gray. (TFoH,Ch1) He has a square face. His dark hair is heavy with gray. (LoC,Prologue) He is stocky, graying and moderately tall with a broad face. (ACoS,Ch11)
Gareth and Siuan by Richard Boyé
- Gareth Bryne becomes Captain-General of the Queen's Guard after his predecessor is killed in the Aiel War.
- Queen Morgase sends Captain-General Bryne after Thom Merrilin when he leaves Caemlyn without permission to help Owyn. (TEotW,Ch35)
- Gareth Bryne and Henre Haslin train Galad to be an expert swordsman. (KoD,Prologue)
- Gareth Bryne trains both Elayne and Gawyn in military strategy. (KoD,Ch33)
- In 996 NE, Siuan Sanche publicly berates Gareth when he questions the orders she gives Queen Morgase regarding the Murandy border. (TFoH,Ch12)
- Gareth Bryne meets Rand when he falls off the Royal Palace wall and is brought before Queen Morgase. (TEotW,Ch40)
- Bryne is forced into retirement by Gaebril. (TDR,Ch45)
- Bryne is back at his manor in Kore Springs. He passes judgment on Min, Siuan and Leane, not realizing who they are. He then starts pursuing them when they run away. (TFoH,Ch1)
- Bryne and his men arrive at Lugard and learn that Siuan, Logain and the others were there. (TFoH,Ch12)
- Bryne and his men arrive in Salidar and he learns Siuan's true identity. He takes her as his housemaid. He agrees to build them an army to take out Elaida. (TFoH,Ch28)
- Bryne and Elayne greet each other coolly when she arrives at Salidar. He then invites Thom to play stones. (TFoH,Ch50)
- Bryne builds his army for the Salidar Aes Sedai. (LoC,Prologue)
- Bryne argues with Siuan on the streets of Salidar. He wants her to convince Sheriam that it is time to move the army. (LoC,Ch8)
- Gareth Bryne sits in front of the Little Tower while the Sitters meet with Tarna Feir. (LoC,Ch12)
- Bryne still sits in front of the Little Tower while the Sitters meet with Tarna Feir. (LoC,Ch13)
- Bryne is not injured in the attack of the bubble of evil. (LoC,Ch15)
- Siuan tells Gareth that she is Aes Sedai. He is not impressed, but he shows deep concern when she cries. (LoC,Ch30)
- As soon as Elayne, Nynaeve, Mat and the others Travel to Ebou Dar, Egwene and the Salidar Aes Sedai prepare to join Bryne and his army. (LoC,Ch44)
- As they travel north through Altara, Bryne keeps his army around the Salidar Aes Sedai and about ten miles from the Band of the Red Hand. (LoC,Ch52)
- He tells Egwene his scouts have found something that he wants her to see for herself. (ACoS,Ch11)
- He guides Egwene, Siuan and Myrelle to a merchant caravan that is spreading a rumor that Rand has bowed to Elaida. Egwene promises him that she has proof the rumor is false and sends him back to the main camp. (ACoS,Ch12)
- Bryne reports to Egwene and Siuan that the Andoran army is near. Egwene sends him back to set up a meeting. (TPoD,Ch15)
- Bryne returns with news that the meeting is set for the next day. (TPoD,Ch16)
- Bryne accompanies Egwene and the Sitters to the meeting with the Andorans and Murandians. (TPoD,Ch17)
- Bryne converses with Uno on the way back to the camp. (TPoD,Ch19)
- Bryne leads his army as the Salidar Aes Sedai prepare to Travel to Tar Valon. (TPoD,Ch30)
- Bryne, Egwene and her council scout Tar Valon from the riverbank. (CoT,Ch16)
- Bryne has his troops occupying the bridge towns on both sides of the river surrounding Tar Valon. (CoT,Ch17)
- Bryne sends Ragan with a message to Egwene that the boats are ready for her mission to Northharbor. (CoT,Ch30)
- Bryne is out all night when Egwene disappears and her empty boat is found. (KoD,Ch1)
- When a meeting of the Hall is announced, Gareth Bryne escorts Siuan to the Blue Ajah area of the camp. (KoD,Ch23)
- Siuan talks with Bryne and finally tells him why she broke oath, her sworn duty to help the Dragon Reborn. (TGS,Ch8)
- Siuan sends urgent word to Bryne to guard the army�s flanks as Elaida now has Traveling. (TGS,Ch18)
- Gawyn rides to Gareth Bryne�s camp and attacks the guards to get attention. He talks with Bryne about rescuing Egwene. They also talk about Morgase and Rand. They discover Shemerin hiding in the camp. (TGS,Ch24)
- Bryne questions Gawyn about his allegiances. (TGS,Ch30)
- Siuan wakes from her meeting with Egwene knowing something is wrong. She and Bryne quickly learn of the attack on the White Tower. Siuan gets Gawyn to help her stage a rescue and Bryne reluctantly agrees to help, but only after Siuan bonds him as her Warder. (TGS,Ch40)
- Siuan, Gawyn, Bryne and his soldiers enter Tar Valon and make their way to the White Tower. Siuan and Bryne save each other�s lives. They find an exhausted Egwene and bring her back to the rebel camp. (TGS,Ch41)
- Siuan and Bryne watch while the Hall meets. Siuan is afraid Egwene will never forgive her. Bryne tells her he will ask her to marry him, but only after her mission is done. (TGS,Ch43)
- Bryne leads Egwene and his army to Tar Valon. Siuan rides with him. (TGS,Ch45)
- Bryne moves his army into Tar Valon and assists the Tower Guard in putting out fires and restoring order. (TGS,Ch46)
- After Rand leaves the Hall, Bryne follows to make sure where he goes. (ToM,Ch3)
- As Bryne prepares for war, he takes time to give Gawyn more advice on dealing with Egwene. (ToM,Ch22)
- Chubain and Gawyn check with Bryne to see if he has ever seen the strange assassin�s knife. (ToM,Ch23)
- Egwene and the Hall reach agreement that the Hall will take charge of Bryne�s army and the Tower Guards. (ToM,Ch27)
- Bryne�s soldiers build a palisade for Egwene at the Field of Merrilor. (ToM,Ch56)
- TEotW,Ch35 - Basel Gill tells Rand and Mat that Bryne probably still remembers Thom.
- TEotW,Ch40 - Gareth Bryne served under three Queens of Andor and was Captain-General and First Prince Regent for two.
- TGH,Ch4 - Anaiya tells Moiraine that Morgase and Gareth Bryne still have control of Andor despite the dissention.
- TGH,Ch21 - Hearing Rand is from Andor, Caldevwin quizzes Rand about Gareth Bryne, hoping to catch him in a lie.
- TDR,Ch27 - If she disappears again with no word Elayne is afraid that Morgase might send Gareth Bryne and the whole army after her.
- TSR,Ch8 - Elayne thinks Rand has a commanding presence like Gareth Bryne.
- TSR,Ch12 - Rhuarc reminds Elayne of Gareth Bryne. When he makes up his mind, not even her mother can dissuade him.
- TSR,Ch39 - Hearing that Thom was also Morgase' lover, Elayne is upset that her mother has bedded so many men including Gareth Bryne and Lord Gaebril.
- TFoH,Ch1 - After Gaebril sends her to her rooms, Morgase thinks of Gareth Bryne.
- TFoH,Ch19 - Morgase thinks of the men in her life including Gareth Bryne.
- TFoH,Ch27 - Arinvar and Nuhel report to the Salidar Aes Sedai that Gareth Bryne and twenty men are approaching Salidar.
- TFoH,Ch27 - The five great captains of the Westlands are Agelmar Jagad, Davram Bashere, Gareth Bryne, Pedron Niall and Rodel Ituralde.
- TFoH,Ch28 - Min has a viewing that Siuan and Bryne must stay close together or both will die.
- TFoH,Ch54 - Nynaeve starts a fight with Siuan by goading her about Bryne.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Morgase and her party look for Bryne at Kore Springs. He has already left, so they continue west.
- LoC,Prologue -Gawyn recalls his oath to Gareth Bryne when he hears a rumor that Elayne is dead.
- LoC,Ch36 - Sheriam and her circle tell Egwene that Gareth Bryne is leading their army.
- LoC,Ch39 - Egwene threatens Mat telling him that Gareth Bryne and his army think that Mat and the Band of the Red Hand are Dragonsworn.
- LoC,Ch48 - Elayne scores points with Queen Tylin by apologizing for the presence of Bryne's army on Altaran soil.
- ACoS,Prologue - Tarna reports to the White Tower that he is leading the Salidar Aes Sedai army.
- ACoS,Ch8 - Egwene says they will camp for a day since Bryne has told her they are short of food.
- ACoS,Ch9 - Siuan throws things at him when she is angry.
- TPoD,Ch6 - He taught Elayne to ride on the Trakand estate run by Master Hornwell.
- TPoD,Ch15 - Egwene realizes that Siuan is in love with Bryne.
- TPoD,Ch19 - Egwene wonders if Bryne is keeping Siuan working for him because he also loves her.
- WH,Ch26 - Egwene offers to send Elayne some of Gareth Bryne's troops, but Elayne declines.
- CoT,Ch13 � When questioned about Birgitte not wearing a sword, Elayne answers with Gareth Bryne's quote that a general's army is his sword.
- CoT,Ch23 � Cadsuane notes that the Seanchan are like the five great captains. When they lose a battle, they figure out what went wrong and adapt.
- KoD,Prologue � As Galad fights Valda he recalls his training from Gareth Bryne and Henre Haslin.
- KoD,Ch1 � Siuan still cannot figure out her feelings for Gareth Bryne.
- KoD,Ch2 � Once the rebellion is quashed, Elaida intends to make Gareth Bryne Captain of the Tower Guard.
- KoD,Ch13 � Elayne wishes she had Gareth Bryne to lead her army but she knows Egwene needs him.
- KoD,Ch34 � Impressed with the military prowess of the army in Altara, Furyk Karede wonders if "Thom Merrilin" is a pseudonym for Gareth Bryne or Agelmar Jagad.
- TGS,Ch4 � Gawyn and his Younglings scout Gareth Bryne's troops as they search villages near Dorlan.
- TGS,Ch13 � Gawyn no longer sends out raids as Gareth Bryne's search parties are getting too close to Dorlan.
- TGS,Ch20 � Consoling Mat on his marriage, Talmanes says that at least two of the great captains, Rodel Ituralde and Davram Bashere, are also married. Gareth Bryne is not. It is not clear if Agelmar Jagad or Pedron Niall were.
- TGS,Ch38 � In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene visits the rebel camp and can see Bryne's army camp surrounding it.
- ToM,Ch5 - Chubain feels threatened after Bryne�s army defeated his Tower Guards.
- ToM,Ch6 � Morgase does not understand why she banished Gareth Bryne.
- ToM,Ch21 � Morgase thinks that Thom and Gareth Bryne loved her, but not like Tallanvor.
- ToM,Ch41 � When the Shadowspawn attack, Galad leads the charge even though he knows that Gareth Bryne would stay back.
- ToM,Ch43 � Following advice from Bryne, Galad allows his men Healing if they chose.
- ToM,Ch44 � Morgase learned from Taringail that marriage is dangerous so she never made Thom or Bryne her official consort. Gaebril reinforced the danger.