Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Pronunciation: PAD-an FAIN
aka: Ordeith, Jeraal Mordeth
Ordeith means "Wormwood" in the Old Tongue.
A peddler and a Darkfriend. He is from Lugard.
He is a pale, skinny fellow with gangly arms and a massive beak of a nose. (TEotW,Ch3) He is a skinny little fellow with a large nose and wide ears. (ACoS,Ch35)
- Padan Fain becomes a Darkfriend forty years ago. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Because he covers the Two Rivers area, Fain is chosen to be the Dark One's hound to search for the Dragon Reborn. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Padan Fain arrives in Emond's Field. (TEotW,Ch2)
- He enters Emond's Field and tells everyone about the news of the world. The Village Council asks him to step inside the Winespring Inn. (TEotW,Ch3)
- In the Trolloc attack, Fain's wagon is burned and he disappears. (TEotW,Ch7)
- The Fade forces Fain to accompany him and the Trollocs after the boys. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Rand runs into Fain in Baerlon and tells him they are staying at the Stag and Lion. (TEotW,Ch15)
- Fain frees himself of the Fade but is still forced to follow the boys. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Fain enters Shadar Logoth and encounters Mordeth. They merge, forming something more evil and powerful than either. (TGH,Ch49)
- Fain heads to Caemlyn after the boys. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Fain sees Rand in Caemlyn and tries to chase him. (TEotW,Ch39)
- Fain follows the boys through the Ways. He encounters Machin Shin, but the Black Wind leaves him alone. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Fain is brought before Moiraine and Agelmar after being caught trying to sneak in to Fal Dara. (TEotW,Ch46)
- Fain tells most of his story to Moiraine. He is held in the dungeon. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Fain is still being held in the dungeon. (TEotW,Ch53)
- Rand and Egwene visit Fain. He says he can feel Rand and that Mordeth knows more than all of you. (TGH,Ch3)
- Fain waits in the dark when Mat and Egwene come to visit. Ingtar and a Fade release Fain and he takes the ruby dagger from Mat. He learns of Toman Head from the Fade and decides to go there via the Waygate at Cairhien. (TGH,Ch5, Tor Q&A)
- Fain fights for control with the Fade and finally kills it, nailing it to a door. (TGH,Ch11)
- Fain wakes to find the Horn and the ruby dagger gone and is furious. He cannot sense Rand. Later, he can sense Rand again. He still feels compelled to hunt him and hates him for it. (TGH,Ch19)
- Fain's Darkfriends steal the Horn and the ruby dagger and set the Defender of the Dragonwall on fire. (TGH,Ch30)
- Fain takes the Horn and his followers through the Waygate to Toman Head after leaving a message for Rand with Barthanes. (TGH,Ch33)
- Leaving the Darkfriends and Trollocs in a nearby camp, Fain takes the chest to High Lord Turak in Falme. Turak opens the chest and confiscates the Horn and the ruby dagger. (TGH,Ch34)
- Fain sets himself up in style in Falme with fine clothes and a servant. (TGH,Ch42)
- Fain kills Turak's aide, Huan, for striking him. (TGH,Ch45)
- Padan Fain now calls himself Ordeith, which means Wormwood. He makes his way to Amador and into the good graces of Pedron Niall where he convinces him that the Two Rivers is a nest of Darkfriends. (TDR,Prologue)
- Ordeith leads fifty Whitecloaks to the Two Rivers and meets Dain Bornhald there. He intends to scour the Two Rivers so Rand will come to him. (TSR,Ch1)
- When Perrin's parents laugh at him, Fain murders the entire family. (TSR,Ch31)
- Fain has his own camp with his close followers. He also has a Fade prisoner. He knows one of the boys is to the south and that it is not Rand. (TSR,Ch31)
- Fain orchestrates a Trolloc attack that wipes out Taren Ferry but allows many to escape across the river carrying word of what is going on in the Two Rivers. (TSR,Ch45)
- Fain watches the defense of Emond's Field. Angry at the result, he plans to take his motley crew to Caemlyn, then Tar Valon. (TSR,Ch56)
- Fain meets with Elaida and talks about Rand. He notices the tension between her and Alviarin and relishes it. He wants both the Horn of Valere and the ruby dagger. (TFoH,Prologue)
- Fain retrieves the ruby dagger. Alviarin confronts him, but he convinces her that he is a high level Darkfriend. He quickly leaves the White Tower. (TFoH,Ch19)
- In Caemlyn, Fain sends some of his Whitecloaks to attack Rand as a test of his defenses. (LoC,Ch26)
- Fain and his pet Fade are staying with a Darkfriend family in Caemlyn. The son, Perwyn Belman brings him news that Rand was attacked by a Gray Man. Fain is furious because he wants Rand for himself. (LoC,Ch28)
- Fain is advisor to Toram Riatin in the Cairhien rebel camp. He now calls himself Jeraal Mordeth. Rand spots him, but he disappears into the crowd. (ACoS,Ch35)
- Fain jumps out of the fog, slices Rand with the ruby dagger and runs off laughing. (ACoS,Ch36)
- Fain brings Toram Riatin with him to Far Madding. (WH,Ch33)
- Fain arrives in Far Madding. He kills Kisman with the ruby dagger because he wants Rand for himself. (WH,Ch22)
- Fain sends a note to Rand telling him that Gedwyn and Torval are staying in a house on Blue Carp Street. (WH,Ch32)
- Fain kills Gedwyn and Torval then attacks Rand. He uses new powers to create an Illusion, but Rand slashes him with his sword. Fain flees. (WH,Ch33)
- Fain walks through the Blight collecting Trolloc followers heading for Shayol Ghul. (ToM,Prologue)
- TEotW,Ch4 - Thom knows Padan Fain and does not like him.
- TGH,Ch6 - Rand goes to the dungeon and finds the guards murdered, Mat and Egwene injured and Fain gone.
- TGH,Ch7 - Moiraine, Siuan and Verin wonder why Fain was so important that he was rescued.
- TGH,Ch14 - The wolves tell Perrin that Fain is still to the south.
- TGH,Ch19 - Fain cannot sense Rand when he is holding the One Power.
- TGH,Ch28 - The wolves tell Perrin that someone they call Shadowkiller killed some Trollocs. Fain and the others are now chasing Shadowkiller.
- TGH,Ch41 - Hurin searches for Fain's trail on Toman Head. They all wonder why he would bring the Horn to Falme.
- TGH,Ch42 - Nynaeve sees Fain in the streets of Falme and wonders what he could be doing here.
- TGH,Ch44 - Hurin locates Fain's trail and follows it to Falme.
- TGH,Ch45 - Turak was suspicious of Fain because of his obvious desire for the ruby dagger and because Huan died mysteriously.
- TGH,Ch49 - Moiraine figured out that Padan Fain and Mordeth merged forming something for dangerous and evil than either.
- TSR,Ch13 - When Rand hears that Whitecloaks are searching the Two Rivers for Perrin and him, he realizes it is Fain's work.
- TSR,Ch29 - Marin and Bran tell Perrin that Fain is with the Whitecloaks. He tells them Fain is a Darkfriend.
- TSR,Ch32 - Perrin tells Jac al'Seen and the others that Fain is a Darkfriend.
- TSR,Ch42 - Slayer tells Perrin that he brought the Trollocs to keep the Whitecloaks off balance and to see that the renegade died.
- TSR,Ch45 - Lord Luc learns that there was a Trolloc attack on Taren Ferry that let many people escape across the river. Clearly angry, he asks if Ordeith was seen around and hopes he was killed.
- LoC,Ch10 - The Two Rivers girls tell Rand about Perrin, Faile, Padan Fain, the Whitecloaks and the Trollocs.
- LoC,Ch28 - Fain can feel Alanna's bond to Rand.
- LoC,Ch28 - Fain can now sense even casual Darkfriends.
- LoC,Ch50 - Rand worries that Fain or one of the Forsaken might come after Min if they knew how important she is to him.
- ACoS,Ch35 - Fain has influenced Toram Riatin so that he hates Rand with a passion.
- ACoS,Ch41 - Rand has nightmares about Fain attacking him.
- TPoD,Ch27 - Dobraine reports to Rand that Fain has left Toram Riatin's service and vanished.
- WH,Ch13 - Isam is still under orders to find and kill Fain.
- KoD,Ch20 � The True Source is now clean but, with his wounds from Ishamael and Fain, Rand wonders if he is.
- TGS,Ch5 � Rand trusts Corele more than most since she, Samitsu and Flinn saved him after Fain cut him with the ruby dagger.
- TGS,Ch35 � His return to Falme brings Rand memories of following Fain, the ruby dagger and the Horn of Valere.
- TGS,Ch44 � Nynaeve feels sorry for the way Rand treats Hurin. Hurin idolizes Rand after the months they spent chasing Fain and the Horn of Valere.
- TGS,Ch47 � After meeting with Hurin, Rand feels melancholy thinking of simpler days when he Hurin and Loial chased after Fain and the ruby dagger.