Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Lews Therin Telamon
Pronunciation: LOOZ THEH-rihn TEHL-ah-mon
aka: Lord of the Morning, Kinslayer, Dragon, Prince of the Dawn
Leader of the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends before and during the War of Power. Lews Therin was married to Ilyena Sunhair (TEotW,Prologue). During the War of the Shadow, he was known as the Dragon. In the madness which overtook all male Aes Sedai, he killed every living person who carried any of his blood, as well as everyone he loved, thus earning the name Kinslayer (TEotW,Glossary).
He reappears as a voice in Rand's head. While it is not clear if the voice is real or part of Rand's growing madness, it is treated as a real character.
He is tall with dark eyes, and brown hair turning white. His face is lined with worry. He wears gray, scarlet, and gold with the old Aes Sedai symbol on his cloak. (TEotW,Prologue)
- Lews Therin defeats Elan Morin at the gates of Paaran Disen. (TEotW,Prologue)
- During the War of Power, he formulates a plan to seal the Bore. The original plan was to use a circle of thirteen men and women, but the women Aes Sedai led by Latra Posae oppose the plan. Instead, he and 113 men go to Shayol Ghul to seal the Bore by themselves. They succeed, but are driven mad by the Dark One's counterstroke. (TSR,Ch26, SaSG)
- He dies as he creates Dragonmount. (TEotW,Prologue)
- A voice in Rand's head cackles, "Now," as he releases a powerful weave against the Shadowspawn in the Stone of Tear. (TSR,Ch10)
- While Egwene chews out Rand, a voice in his head comments that Ilyena would never give him the rough side of her tongue because she was mad at herself. (TFoH,Ch2)
- A voice in Rand's head gives him advice on dealing with Lanfear. (TFoH,Ch6)
- A voice in Rand's head moans about Ilyena. (TFoH,Ch43)
- The voice in Rand's head says he would give anything to have Ilyena back. (TFoH,Ch44)
- Lews Therin agrees that Rand is using good strategy in dealing with the Tairen and Cairhienin nobles. (TFoH,Ch46)
- After Rand practices the sword and stops Bashere's dagger, Lews Therin starts talking. (LoC,Ch1)
- When Taim is brought into the courtyard, Lews Therin rises in a frenzy in Rand's head. After some talking, Lews Therin raves "Kill him!" Taim presents a seal and Lews Therin says "break it..." (LoC,Ch2)
- When Taim holds saidin, Lews Therin rages "Kill him. Kill him." Rand shouts at him to shut up and the voice disappears for some time. (LoC,Ch3)
- Some time later that day Lews Therin still has not returned. (LoC,Ch4)
- Lews Therin reacts with confusion then stunned shock when Alanna bonds Rand. (LoC,Ch10)
- Lews Therin laughs at Rand as he tries to run from Alanna's bond. (LoC,Ch11)
- Lews Therin whispers to Rand. (LoC,Ch16)
- Lews Therin hums when he sees Berelain. Rand shouts at him and he disappears. Some time later he starts murmuring again. (LoC,Ch17)
- Lews Therin chants for Rand to break the seals. (LoC,Ch18)
- Rand shares Lews Therin's dreams for the first time. (LoC,Ch19)
- Lews Therin adds Ilyena Therin Moerelle to the list in Rand's head of women who died for him. (LoC,Ch26)
- Lews Therin laughs at Rand but does not talk with him. (LoC,Ch26)
- Lews Therin tells Rand how to weave an invisibility shield. (LoC,Ch27)
- Lews Therin talks directly to Rand for the first time. Rand tells him that he is just a voice in his head and Lews Therin flees screaming. (LoC,Ch28)
- Lews Therin tells Rand that he must be careful with nine Aes Sedai around. (LoC,Ch41)
- When Rand sees Mazrim Taim Lews Therin rages that he should have killed him long ago. (LoC,Ch42)
- He starts muttering to Rand again. (LoC,Ch46)
- Lews Therin begins moaning when Rand learns that seven Aes Sedai are coming. He quiets when Rand thinks of the little fat man angreal. (LoC,Ch49)
- Lews Therin says he will kill Demandred first, then Sammael. He flees screaming when the Aes Sedai shield Rand. (LoC,Ch51)
- Lews Therin and Rand agree to work together. He teaches Rand how to undo the tied off weaves of his shield. (LoC,Ch53)
- Lews Therin screams about killing everyone when Taim is around. (LoC,Ch55)
- Lews Therin raves about killing Sammael, Demandred and all of them when he sees the Asha'man. He is puzzled by the bond to Alanna. (ACoS,Ch7)
- Lews Therin hums and thumbs his earlobe when he sees pretty women. When Cadsuane asks Rand if he's hearing voices and tells him it is a symptom of madness Lews Therin vanishes. (ACoS,Ch18)
- Lews Therin is still gone and has not returned. (ACoS,Ch33)
- Lews Therin finally returns. (TPoD,Ch14)
- Lews Therin renews his muttering about killing the Asha'man. (TPoD,Ch21)
- Lews Therin tells Rand nothing makes Semirhage weep. (TPoD,Ch22)
- Lews Therin is becoming more withdrawn. (TPoD,Ch24)
- Lews Therin flees as soon as he sees Cadsuane. (TPoD,Ch27)
- After the explosion Lews Therin weeps that he should have sent Ilyena away. (TPoD,Ch29)
- As Rand thinks of the inventions, Lews Therin murmurs, "I thought I could build. I was wrong. We are not builders, Not you, or I, or the other one. We are destroyers." (WH,Prologue)
- When Rand Travels to the Royal Palace, saidin makes him sick and Lews Therin begs him to let go. (WH,Ch11)
- Lews Therin hates being in Far Madding. He says, "How many will we three kill before the end, I wonder."(WH,Ch22)
- Lews Therin sounds nearly sane when he says, "A man who trusts everyone is a fool and a man who trusts no one is a fool. We are all fools, if we live long enough." (WH,Ch25)
- Lews Therin wants to leave Far Madding. He hates being cut off from the True Source. (WH,Ch32)
- While Rand eats, Lews Therin comments that he used to like meat pies. (WH,Ch33)
- Lews Therin howls when he finds himself caged again. (WH,Ch34)
- Lews Therin sighs with relief when Rand leaves Far Madding. When Rand says he will use the Choedan Kal, Lews Therin shrieks that they were never tested. When Rand mentions Shadar Logoth, Lews Therin screams and flees. (WH,Ch35)
- Lews Therin continues to mutter, but since Shadar Logoth he seems a bit more sane. (CoT,Ch24)
- Lews Therin sees the image of Moridin in Rand's head. It is not one of the Forsaken as he knows all their faces. (KoD,Ch18)
- When the Trollocs attack, Lews Therin seizes control of saidin ahead of Rand. He channels battle weaves from the Age of Legends. Afterwards, he refuses to release saying he wants to die. Rand convinces him to live until the Last Battle. (KoD,Ch19)
- Lews Therin lets Rand control saidin when he Travels. (KoD,Ch21)
- When Lews Therin recognizes Semirhage, he struggles with Rand for control of saidin delaying Rand's response. (KoD,Ch27)
- Lews Therin moans about Ilyena. (TGS,Ch1)
- Lews Therin says he does not trust Narishma. (TGS,Ch22)
- Lews Therin tells Rand that Min is right about breaking the seals. (TGS,Ch22)
- Lews Therin screams in horror when Rand takes the True Power. (TGS,Ch22)
- When Rand recites the list of women who died because of him, Lews Therin adds Ilyena. (TGS,Ch29)
- When Rand seizes saidin Lews Therin struggles for control. (TGS,Ch35)
- Lews Therin cries that he cannot continue the list because they do not know the names of the women who died in Natrin's Barrow. (TGS,Ch42)
- Lews Therin thinks he likes Weiramon because he is loyal and honest. (TGS,Ch42)
- In the Stone of Tear, Lews Therin recognizes the place where Rand tried to bring a dead girl back to life. (TGS,Ch47)
- Lews Therin says death will be a mercy and he sounds a lot like Rand. (TGS,Ch49)
- Lews Therin sounds completely sane when he says the reason for struggle against the Dark One is so they can have a second chance to love again. (TGS,Ch50)
- TEotW,Earlier - At the annual sheep shearing, Tam al'Thor tells some boys the story of the War of Power and Lews Therin Telamon.
- TEotW,Ch14 - Ba'alzamon claims to Rand that he told Lews Therin to kill his family as well as giving him back his sanity.
- TEotW,Ch50 - Aginor was close behind Ishamael and Lews Therin in strength.
- TEotW,Ch51 - Aginor brags that he faced Lews Therin in the Hall of the Servants.
- TEotW,Ch52 - Aginor was close behind Ishamael and Lews Therin in strength.
- TGH,Ch7 - On hearing the Dark Prophecy, Moiraine recalls that Lanfear and Lews Therin were lovers before he met Ilyena.
- TGH,Ch15 - Ba'alzamon calls Rand Lews Therin and muses that he always finds odd followers.
- TGH,Ch22 - Moiraine asks Vandene about Lanfear. She replies that she only knows that she was linked to Lews Therin.
- TGH,Ch37 - As Rand experiences the Portal Stone visions he hears over and over, "I have won again, Lews Therin."
- TGH,Ch47 - Artur Hawkwing calls Rand Lews Therin.
- TGH,Ch48 - Lanfear tells Min that Rand is Lews Therin.
- TDR,Ch36 - Lanfear tells Ba'alzamon that Lews Therin was hers before Ilyena and he will be again.
- TDR,Ch50 - Jalanda son of Aried son of Coiam wrote that Be'lal was called "The Envious" because of his envy of Lews Therin.
- TDR,Ch55 - Be'lal says Lews Therin always put his heart ahead of power. He will give Rand a chance because he and Lews Therin were once allies.
- TDR,Ch56 - Lanfear leaves a note for Moiraine saying Lews Therin was mine and will always be mine.
- TSR,Ch9 - Recalling that Lews Therin was the Dragon, Rand wonders if the strange beast on the Dragon Banner is a dragon.
- TSR,Ch10 - Moiraine tells Rand that Lanfear loved Lews Therin so she will probably continue to try to win him to her side.
- TSR,Ch58 - Lanfear continues to call Rand Lews Therin.
- TFoH,Ch2 - Rand has a clear memory of Ilyena and the Can Breat.
- TFoH,Ch22 - Rand has a memory from Lews Therin of battling Sammael at Serendahar.
- TFoH,Ch25 - As Teadra, Birgitte foiled Moghedien's plan to bring down Lews Therin.
- TFoH,Ch30 - From Lews Therin's memories, Rand knows that Asmodean and Semirhage were both poor at controlling weather.
- TFoH,Ch32 - Asmodean is astounded when Rand blocks Aviendha's gateway open. Only Demandred, Semirhage and Lews Therin had that ability.
- TFoH,Ch42 - Rand has memories of planning great battles from Lews Therin.
- TFoH,Ch44 - Rand has trouble distinguishing his own thoughts from Lews Therin's.
- TFoH,Ch52 - From Lews Therin's memories Rand knows there is a way he can defeat Lanfear, but he cannot bring himself to do it.
- TFoH,Ch55 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Rahvin tries to turn Rand into Lews Therin.
- LoC,Prologue - The Forsaken argue over whether or not Rand really is Lews Therin.
- LoC,Ch6 - Graendal uses Lews Therin's name to goad Sammael.
- LoC,Ch18 - Rand never feels alone because of the presence of Alanna and Lews Therin whispering to him.
- LoC,Ch28 - Rand is in a foul mood because he now knows that Lews Therin is real.
- ACoS,Ch2 - Perrin notices Rand staring off and muttering to himself indicating conversations with Lews Therin.
- ACoS,Ch6 - Rand continues to have frequent blank periods indicating conversations with Lews Therin.
- ACoS,Ch7 - From Lews Therin Rand knows that Sammael was at his best defending.
- ACoS,Ch33 - Rand interprets Min's viewing of him and someone else merging, one lives and one dies, to mean that Lews Therin is, indeed, real. This cheers him as he thinks it is less likely that he is mad.
- ACoS,Ch36 - Rand tells Cadsuane that Lews Therin is real.
- ACoS,Ch41 - From Lews Therin Rand knows that Sammael will return to Illian. He has never given up anything of his without a fight.
- TPoD,Ch27 - Min notes some unusual mannerisms from Rand, Lews Therin's.
- WH,Ch22 - Rand realizes that he is now good at drawing, a gift from Lews Therin.
- WH,Ch25 - Rand plays a tune on the flute, another gift from Lews Therin.
- WH,Ch35 - Cyndane really wants to kill Lews Therin for spurning her.
- CoT,Ch24 � Rand wonders about the Creator and his plan, which is more typical of Lews Therin.
- KoD,Ch20 � Rand is afraid to channel for fear that Lews Therin will take over again.
- KoD,Ch27 � Semirhage tells everyone about Lews Therin being in Rand's head and that it will lead to abrupt madness.
- TGS,Ch1 � When Rand hears Lews Therin he wonders about what Semirhage said.
- TGS,Ch5 � Rand thinks Lews Therin will be able to help him figure out how to reseal the Bore.
- TGS,Ch15 � When Rand meets Moridin in a dream, Lews Therin is absent.
- TGS,Ch15 � Min thinks her viewing of two men merging into one proves that Lews Therin is real.
- TGS,Ch31 � Rand looks forward to dying as much as Lews Therin does.
- TGS,Ch50 � When Rand realizes why he should fight on, Lews Therin disappears and Rand realizes he is gone forever and was never really a different person.
- ToM,Prologue � When Graendal recognizes the impending attack on Natrin's Barrow, she wonders if Lews Therin remembers that she murdered Yanet.
- ToM,Ch3 � Rand tells Egwene that he has all of Lews Therin�s memories like a dream.
- ToM,Ch5- Graendal partially succeeds in convincing Moridin that the attack on Natrin's Barrow was a �success� in that all those innocent deaths would have caused Lews Therin great anguish.
- ToM,Ch51 � Rand tells Min that he has all of Lews Therin�s memories but there is a difference. He has her and all the others who love him.
- AMoL,Ch1 � Lews Therin loved wine. He thinks the vintages of the Third Age are poor compared to those of the Age of Legends.