Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Pronunciation: JAY-ihn CHAH-rihn
aka: Jain Farstrider
A hero of the northern lands who journeyed to many lands and had many adventures; the author of several books, as well as being the subject of books and stories. He vanished in 981 NE, after returning from a trip into the Great Blight which some say had taken him all the way to Shayol Ghul. Early printings of TEotW give an incorrect date of 994 NE for his disappearance.
- Circa 955 Jain Charin captures Cowin Gemallan Fairheart and brings him to the king's justice. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Jain Farstrider publishes his exploits in The Travels of Jain Farstrider in 968 NE. (TDR,Glossary)
- Jain Farstrider disappears in 981 NE after a trip into the Blight. (TEotW,Glossary) Early printings of TEotW give an incorrect date of 994 NE.
- About twenty years ago, Jain Charin arrives at Stedding Shangtai near death. He quickly gets well in the stedding. He leaves suddenly, but while he is there he tells the Ogier that he plans to carry a message to Tar Valon that the Dark One intents to blind the Eye of the World. (TEotW,Ch42)
- Disillusioned after the death of his beloved wife and his misuse at the hands of Ishamael, Jain Charin ends his life of adventure and uses the name Noal Charin.
- As Noal stays behind to defend their backs, he shouts to Mat and Thom to tell any Malkieri they meet that Jain Farstrider died clean.
- TEotW,Ch4 - Thom offers to tell stories of Jain Farstrider.
- TEotW,Ch5 - Tam al'Thor has the book The Travels of Jain Farstrider.
- TEotW,Ch36 - Basel Gill has the books The Travels of Jain Farstrider and Voyages Among the Sea Folk.
- TEotW,Ch51 - Ba'alzamon brags that he painted Jain Fastrider as a fool and sent him to the Ogier.
- TGH,Ch31 - In The Travels of Jain Farstrider he writes about his travels to the Sea Folk and to the lands beyond the Aiel Waste.
- TDR,Ch45 - Mat notes a copy of The Travels of Jain Farstrider in The Queen's Blessing library and regrets not having read it.
- TDR,Ch49 - Egwene tries to kill time reading The Travels of Jain Farstrider but she is too nervous to concentrate.
- TSR,Ch22 - Jain Farstrider's horse was Jeade'en. Rand names his horse Jeade'en after Jain Farstrider's.
- LoC,Ch17 - Rand remembers reading about Shara in The Travels of Jain Farstrider.
- KoD,Ch6 � Noal claims that Jain Charin was his cousin. When Noal badmouths Jain Farstrider Olver defends him citing how he brought Cowin Gemallan to justice.
- KoD,Ch10 � Noal says Jain Farstrider believed that the Tower of Ghenjei was on the Shadow Coast.
- ToM,Ch22 � With all the stories going around, Noal tells Mat that soon he will be more famous than Jain Farstrider.
- ToM,Ch57 � Mat was surprised to learn that Noal was actually Jain Farstrider but Thom already knew.