Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Queen Morgase Trakand
Pronunciation: moor-GAYZ TRAHK-ahnd
aka: Maighdin Dorlain
A queen of Andor, by the Grace of the Light, Queen of Andor, Defender of the Realm, Protector of the People, High Seat of House Trakand. She married Taringail Damodred. She is mother to Elayne and Gawyn and stepmother to Galad. She once had a romance with Thom Merrilin. Her sign is three golden keys. The sign of House Trakand is a silver keystone.
She has her daughter's beauty, matured and ripened. Her face and figure, her presence, fill the room like a light. She has a rich, warm voice. (TEotW,Ch40) She looks about ten years older than Perrin does. She has blue eyes and long red-gold curls. (TPoD,Ch7)
Morgase Trakand by Richard Boyé
- Morgase goes to the White Tower at age fourteen. (TFoH,Ch19)
- After the disappearance of Tigraine, Morgase returns from the White Tower before she is sixteen to lay claim to the Lion Throne. (TDR,Ch47, TFoH,Ch19)
- After two years of contention called the Succession, Morgase finally wins the Lion Throne. She marries Taringail Damodred to solidify her claim. (TDR,Ch47, TFoH,Ch19)
- Queen Morgase and Thom Merrilin are lovers for a time after the death of Taringail Damodred. (TSR,Ch17)
- In 996 NE, Siuan Sanche orders Queen Morgase to back off the Murandy border. She publicly berates Gareth Bryne when he questions these orders. (TFoH,Ch12)
- Queen Morgase views Logain up close when he is brought to the Royal Palace. Later that day she interviews Rand and gives him clemency. (TEotW,Ch40)
- She travels to the White Tower to visit Elayne. She is furious when she finds out that Elayne is not there. She refuses to take Elaida back to Caemlyn with her. She demands that Elayne be sent back to Caemlyn as soon as she returns. (TDR,Ch13)
- Morgase falls under the thrall of Lord "Gaebril." (TDR,Ch46)
- Mat delivers Elayne's letter to Morgase. She is partly pleased and partly angry at its contents. She tells Mat she wants to make amends with her daughter. (TDR,Ch46)
- Under the influence of Gaebril, Morgase exiles her most loyal supporters, Lord Pelivar, Lord Abelle, Lady Arathelle, Lady Ellorien, Lady Aemlyn and Lord Luan. (TFoH,Ch19)
- Morgase holds an audience with Lady Alteima, then Gaebril orders her to her bedchambers. (TFoH,Ch1)
- Hearing of the revolt of the Two Rivers, Morgase regains enough self-control to flee the palace with Lini and Tallanvor. They join Basel Gill, Lamgwin and Breane and flee Caemlyn. (TFoH,Ch19)
- At Kore Springs, Morgase and her party find that Gareth Bryne is gone so they continue west. (TFoH,Ch56)
- Morgase and the others travel across Altara and approach Amadicia. (TFoH,Ch56)
- Morgase and her party are "guests" of King Ailron in the Seranda Palace. Niall tells her that Gaebril is dead and that Rand now rules in Caemlyn. In exchange for a one-sided treaty, he will send Whitecloaks to help her take back Andor. Paitr Conel offers to help her escape. (LoC,Prologue)
- Niall moves Morgase and the others into the Fortress of the Light and continues to press her on the treaty. (LoC,Ch9)
- The day that Morgase and her party are planning to escape she sees Paitr and his uncle hanged. She breaks down and signs Niall's treaty. (LoC,Ch31)
- Morgase meets with Pedron Niall trying to get favors from him. (ACoS,Prologue)
- Morgase finally gives herself to Eamon Valda after being tortured by Asunawa. She witnesses the invasion of the Seanchan. After meeting with High Lady Suroth she abdicates her throne to Elayne. She and her party escape Amador with the aid of Sebban Balwer and head east. (ACoS,Ch26)
- Perrin and his party rescue Morgase, Breane, Lini, Gill, Lamgwin, Tallanvor and Balwer from a bunch of Dragonsworn. (TPoD,Ch7)
- Morgase masquerades as Maighdin Dorlain. Faile offers to make her and her party personal servants and Maighdin accepts. That night Tallanvor tells her he loves her and kisses her. (TPoD,Ch8)
- Lini, Breane and Maighdin serve refreshments and tidy up when Alliandre meets with Perrin, Faile, Berelain and Annoura. (TPoD,Ch10)
- Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin, Arrela, Lacile, Bain and Chiad are captured and made gai'shain by Sevanna's Shaido. (TPoD,Ch30)
- Faile and the others are marched, then carried back to the Shaido camp. Alliandre and Maighdin fight their captors and are beaten for it. (WH,Ch3)
- After Galina Heals their frostbite, Faile and the others march with the Shaido. Faile, Alliandre and Maighdin become separated from Arrela, Lacile, Bain and Chiad. Therava sets them to spy on Sevanna, then Galina sets them to retrieve Therava's binder. (WH,Ch4)
- Maighdin tries to sneak into Therava's tent, but she is caught and punished. Aravine intercedes when Galina starts to berate her. (CoT,Ch9)
- As gai'shain to the Sevanna, Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin and Dairaine all share a single tent. (KoD,Ch5)
- Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin, Arrela and Lacile go into town. Faile retrieves the binder and they meet Galina. She insists they go into the basement of a burned out house. Galina leaves with the binder and collapses the stairway. Maighdin channels to signal for help. (KoD,Ch28)
- Theril sees the signal and brings Aravine, Rolan and others who begin digging them out. (KoD,Ch29)
- Rolan, Jhoradin and Kinhuin free Faile, Arrela, Lacile, Alliandre and Maighdin from the rubble. Maighdin takes a long drink of water with forkroot and collapses. Aldin carries her as they all head out of Malden. When Tallanvor sees her he cradles her in his arms. (KoD,Ch30)
- Morgase serves tea when Perrin holds a staff meeting. Perrin tells Morgase and Tallanvor that he wants to marry them. Morgase angrily refuses. Tallanvor is badly hurt. (ToM,Ch6)
- Morgase is stunned to learn that Lord Gaebril was actually Rahvin. Tallanvor finds her and says he plans to leave for Tear. Morgase asks him to wait a while and he agrees. (ToM,Ch21)
- The next morning, Perrin�s army meets the Whitecloaks. He orders the channelers and Two Rivers men to intimidate them then asks for one last parley and they agree. At the parley, Galad and Berelain are smitten. Galad gets a second shock when he and Morgase recognize each other. Perrin and Galad agree to a trial with Morgase as judge. (ToM,Ch26)
- Galad and Morgase talk about her imprisonment with the Whitecloaks and justice. When a messenger brings Perrin�s request to delay the trial because of the bubble of evil, Galad agrees. (ToM,Ch29)
- Lacile and Selande report to Faile that Morgase is fine and that the Whitecloaks respect Galad. (ToM,Ch30)
- Morgase sits in judgment at the trial. Byar and Bornhald testify and Perrin admits to killing the two Whitecloaks but says he fought on the same side as Geofram Bornhald at Falme. Morgase judges it to be a fight between mercenaries and finds Perrin guilty of illegal killing, not murder. She gives his punishment to Galad and he delays his sentence. (ToM,Ch34)
- After the trial, Morgase goes to find Gill, Lini and the other captives. (ToM,Ch35)
- After reaching the safety of Whitebridge, Morgase and Tallanvor talk with encouragement from Lini. He properly asks for her hand and she agrees. Perrin performs the ceremony. (ToM,Ch44)
- Elayne has a reunion with Galad and Morgase and they exchange stories. She learns that Lini is also safe. Morgase sets the stage for a peaceful negotiation with Perrin. (ToM,Ch45)
- Perrin and Faile have an audience with Elayne and Morgase. Though tense at the start, they finally agree that Elayne will cede the Two Rivers to the Dragon Reborn with Perrin as his steward. (ToM,Ch47)
- Morgase and Dyelin discuss Elayne�s plan for peacefully taking the Sun Throne. (ToM,Ch50)
- Morgase and Elayne arrive at the Field of Merrilor and Gawyn reunites with his mother. (ToM,Ch56)
- TEotW,Ch26 - Aes Sedai are taking Logain to Caemlyn so he can be displayed to Queen Morgase.
- TEotW,Ch34 - Almen Bunt tells Rand and Mat about Queen Morgase.
- TEotW,Ch35 - Basel Gill tells Rand and Mat about Morgase and Thom.
- TEotW,Ch39 - Rand learns that the red cloth he bought by chance means support for Queen Morgase.
- TEotW,Ch40 - Morgase heard Two Rivers speech in her youth.
- TEotW,Ch41 - Basel Gill and some Whitecloaks have a difference in opinion of her.
- TEotW,Glossary - By the Grace of the Light, Queen of Andor, Defender of the Realm, Protector of the People, High Seat of House Trakand. Her sign is three golden keys. The sign of House Trakand is a silver keystone.
- TGH,Ch4 - Anaiya tells Moiraine that Morgase and Gareth Bryne still have control of Andor despite the dissention.
- TGH,Ch24 - After leaving Rand, Almen Bunt stays in Caemlyn to support Queen Morgase.
- TDR,Ch10 - Dain Bornhald tells Elayne that Morgase no longer supports the White Tower.
- TDR,Ch14 - Siuan admits to Egwene and Nynaeve that she is not including Elayne in the hunt for the Black Ajah because of problems with Morgase.
- TDR,Ch16 - Galad and Gawyn would rather have the Master at Arms angry at them than Queen Morgase.
- TDR,Ch27 - Elayne writes a letter to her mother explaining that her absence from the White Tower is not the Aes Sedai's fault. If she disappears again with no word Elayne is afraid that Morgase might send Gareth Bryne and the whole army after her.
- TDR,Ch28 - Mat promises to deliver the letter to Morgase in exchange for the girls getting him out of Tar Valon.
- TDR,Ch29 - Siuan intentionally set up Egwene and Nynaeve to drag Elayne into the hunt for the Black Ajah so she could honestly tell Morgase that she had nothing to do with Elayne's absence.
- TDR,Ch31 - Thom still regrets his breakup with Morgase.
- TDR,Ch45 - Basel Gill tells Mat and Thom that Morgase has a new advisor, Lord Gaebril.
- TDR,Ch47 - Tallanvor is fiercely loyal to Morgase. He grills Mat for any information that might help him understand what is going wrong with her.
- TDR,Ch47 - After fifteen years, Thom finally comes to realize that his passion for Morgase has cooled.
- TSR,Ch1 - Elaida aligned herself with Morgase as soon as she was able because of her Foretelling that the Royal line of Andor is the key to winning the Last Battle.
- TSR,Ch6 - Mat tells Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve about Morgase mooning over Lord Gaebril but Elayne does not believe it.
- TSR,Ch12 - Elayne recalls that when Gareth Bryne makes up his mind, not even Morgase can dissuade him.
- TSR,Ch39 - Hearing that Thom was also Morgase' lover, Elayne is upset that her mother has bedded so many men including Gareth Bryne and Lord Gaebril.
- TSR,Ch42 - Faile wonders what Queen Morgase would think of people raising their own wolf-head banner in the Two Rivers.
- TSR,Ch45 - Faile tells Perrin that he should bring the Two Rivers back into Andor. Then Queen Morgase would make him a lord for real.
- TFoH,Prologue - Elaida and her Council talk about Morgase and Lord Gaebril. Alviarin has a clerk forging letters to her from Elayne.
- TFoH,Prologue - Rahvin contemplates whether to kill Morgase or keep her around a while longer.
- TFoH,Ch3 - Asmodean tells Rand that Rahvin has a queen for a pet, but he does not know exactly who.
- TFoH,Ch12 - Bryne recalls his argument with Siuan when Morgase passed on her orders to recall his troops from the Murandy border.
- TFoH,Ch16 - Elayne tells Nynaeve that Thom was court bard and Morgase' lover.
- TFoH,Ch17 - Elayne is certain that Morgase will support Rand.
- TFoH,Ch25 - Rahvin has his pet Red Ajah sister claim that Morgase is still seen in public audience in Caemlyn.
- TFoH,Ch27 - When Siuan hears that Bryne is nearing Salidar, she recalls humiliating him in front of Morgase.
- TFoH,Ch33 - There are Andoran soldiers in Cairhien. They want take the Sun Throne for Morgase.
- TFoH,Ch40 - Galad swears on Morgase' name that he will help Nynaeve and Elayne.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Mat brings news to Rand that Morgase is dead at the hand of Gaebril.
- TFoH,Ch53 - Moiraine writes to Rand that she knew since Rhuidean that news of Morgase would arrive and that it would precipitate the showdown at the docks.
- TFoH,Ch54 - Moghedien tells Nynaeve that Rand is going after Rahvin because he thinks Rahvin killed Morgase. Nynaeve and Birgitte are worried about how Elayne will take the death of her mother.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Rand tells Bashere that Morgase and Gaebril are both dead. He is holding the throne of Andor for Elayne.
- LoC,Prologue - Siuan tells Elayne that it is her duty to remain safe since Morgase is dead.
- LoC,Prologue - Mil Tesen tells Gawyn that Morgase was murdered by the Dragon Reborn.
- LoC,Ch16 - Now that Morgase is "dead," Rand intends the Lion Throne for Elayne, but some nobles who were mistreated by Morgase now support Dyelin for the throne.
- LoC,Ch25 - Egwene tries to convince Gawyn that Rand did not murder Morgase. She tells him she will find proof, but it will take time.
- LoC,Ch26 - Elenia tells Rand that, by commoner standards, Tigraine and Morgase were not related at all. Rand is relieved that he is not related to Elayne.
- LoC,Ch29 - Thom reports to Elayne that there are rampant rumors that Morgase is in the Fortress of the Light. Elayne does not believe it, convinced that her mother is dead.
- LoC,Ch31 - Eamon Valda thinks Niall was too lenient with Morgase. He would have had her signature on the treaty the first day.
- LoC,Ch31 - Asunawa desperately wants to put Morgase to the question, then put her on trial and hang her.
- ACoS,Ch22 - Elayne is confused by Mat's behavior. All she knows of men is Rand and what Lini and Morgase taught her.
- ACoS,Ch30 - Carridin sends a letter to Elayne via Tylin telling her that Morgase is alive and with Pedron Niall and offering to take her to Amador. Elayne thinks it is a lie and is furious.
- TPoD,Ch10 - Annoura tells Berelain that Maighdin is a wilder.
- TPoD,Ch20 - Passing through Andor, Elayne hears over and over rumors that Morgase is dead.
- TPoD,Ch22 - Rand is confused that word spreads that he has a soft spot for women at the same time that rumors fly that he murdered Morgase, Elayne and Colavaere.
- TPoD,Ch28 - Dyelin tells Elayne that many of the nobles that supported Morgase now support Dyelin for the Lion Throne.
- TPoD,Ch30 - Faile thinks Maighdin and Tallanvor are sharing a bed.
- WH,Ch2 - Perrin and his party learn that Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin and others were taken.
- WH,Ch6 - Sulin reports to Perrin that Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin, Bain, Chiad, Arrela and Lacile were taken as gai'shain by the Shaido.
- WH,Ch9 - Elayne wants to run the Academy of the Rose in honor of Morgase.
- WH,Ch10 - Doilin Mellar claims that he fought for Morgase during the Succession.
- WH,Ch26 - Elayne recalls good advice from Thom and Morgase regarding spies. Keep them happy and feed them bad information.
- CoT,Prologue - Eamon Valda is angry that he no longer has use for Galad since Morgase escaped.
- CoT,Ch5 � Perrin forces himself to keep in mind Maighdin and the other captives as well as Faile.
- CoT,Ch15 � Lord Lir and Lady Karind lost favor when they were too slow to support Morgase for the throne, so this time they will quickly support the frontrunner.
- CoT,Ch27 � After separating from Perrin's forces, Tallanvor attempts to track Maighdin, but the Shaido move too fast for him to follow.
- KoD,Prologue � After learning from Dain Bornhald that Valda assaulted Morgase, Galad kills Valda in a duel.
- KoD,Ch13 � Elayne regrets that the siege of Caemlyn has not given her time to properly mourn Morgase and Lini.
- KoD,Ch16 � In passing judgment on Samwil Hark, Elayne tries to emulate Morgase as an implacable judge.
- KoD,Ch17 � Aubrem Pensenor rode for Morgase in the Succession.
- KoD,Ch17 � Ellorien is still furious that Morgase had her flogged.
- KoD,Ch24 � Egwene tells Mattin Stepaneos that Rahvin was the one who killed Morgase, not Rand.
- TGS,Ch24 � Gareth Bryne tries to explain that the problems in Caemlyn were caused by Morgase in her thrall to Gaebril, but Gawyn refuses to listen.
- TGS,Ch30 � Gareth Bryne thinks that he served Morgase but she failed him.
- TGS,Ch47 � Tam tells Rand that Perrin has been doing a fine job balancing the Seanchan, the Prophet, the Whitecloaks and Queen Morgase. Rand is surprised to learn that Morgase is still alive.
- ToM,Prologue � Galad still thinks about Valda and Morgase.
- ToM,Ch16 � Talking about leadership, Faile asks Perrin if he thinks Queen Morgase would ever abdicate to tyrants.
- ToM,Ch19 � Everyone in Caemlyn still believes that Morgase is dead, killed by Gaebril.
- ToM,Ch28 � Faile is angry at Morgase for concealing her identity.
- ToM,Ch40 � Galad�s sense of absolute right and wrong has turned upside down since Morgase returned.
- ToM,Ch57 � Mat tells Moiraine that Morgase is still alive.