Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
aka: Lord Brend, Tel Janin Aellinsar, Caddar
One of the Forsaken. His real name was Tel Janin Aellinsar. In the Old Tongue Sammael means "Destroyer of Hope."
He is solid and compact with a quick stride and an abrupt manner. He has blue eyes and golden hair with a neat, square trimmed beard. (TFoH,Prologue) He is slightly taller than average, muscular and solid, with blue eyes, golden hair and a square cut beard. He has a livid scar from hairline to beard. (ACoS,Ch15)
Sammael in the Age of Legends|
- by Dabel Brothers Production
Sammael 998 NE
- Tel Janin is a leader in the fight against the Dark One before he forsakes the Light. (TDR,Ch50)
- Tel Janin turns to the Shadow because of his jealousy of Lews Therin. Graendal brings him to Shayol Ghul. (LoC,Ch6)
- Tel Janin is named Sammael, Destroyer of Hope, after he betrays the Gates of Hevan and brings the Shadow into Rorn M'doi and Satelle. (TFoH,Ch44)
- Lews Therin gives Sammael the scar on his face. He keeps it as a mark of remembrance. (TFoH,Prologue)
- During the War of Power, he leads an attack on the region where the access keys for the Choedan Kal are being built. They are lost so the Choedan Kal are never used. (SaSG)
- The thirteen Forsaken meet with the Great Lord in the Pit of Doom. Lews Therin and his companions seal the Bore, trapping the Forsaken for over three thousand years.
- Sammael sets himself up to rule Illian as Lord Brend, one of the Council of Nine. (TDR,Ch42, TDR,Ch44)
- Sammael sends a Darkhound to track Moiraine. (TDR,Ch44)
- Sammael sends a pack of Darkhounds to kill Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile. (TDR,Ch44)
- Sammael sends a force of Fades, Trollocs and Darkfriends to attack the Stone of Tear. (LoC,Ch6)
- Rahvin, Lanfear, Sammael, and Graendal meet in Rahvin's quarters in the Royal Palace in Caemlyn. Lanfear proposes that the four of them work together to control Rand. Sammael is furious that Asmodean is a traitor and vows to kill him on sight. (TFoH,Prologue)
- Demandred, Graendal, Lanfear, Rahvin, Sammael and Semirhage all stalk each other in Tel'aran'rhiod. (TFoH,Ch14)
- Graendal, Rahvin, Sammael, and Lanfear plan to trap Rand. Sammael waffles because he is to be the bait while the other three wait linked. (TFoH,Ch34)
- As Rand tires from battle, Sammael sends lightning bolts that destroy Rand's tower nearly killing him. Sammael attacks at least one more time during the battle. (TFoH,Ch44)
- Sammael finds Sevanna in Kinslayer's Dagger and gives her a call box. (LoC,Prologue)
- Sammael does not attend Demandred's meeting. (LoC,Prologue)
- Sammael meets with Graendal in her palace in Arad Doman. She tries to distract him from her real intentions and goad him into going after Rand. He thinks that he has his lines of retreat prepared. He thinks Demandred is responsible for events to the south. (LoC,Ch6)
- Sammael finds a stasis box with some goodies in it. (LoC,Ch23)
- Sammael sends Andris to Rand with an offer of a truce. (LoC,Ch17)
- Graendal visits Sammael in Illian. He claims that he has a truce with Rand. He winds up in charge. He plans to be the only one left on the day of return to fight Rand. (LoC,Ch23)
- Sammael arrives at Carridin's quarters in Ebou Dar. He is surprised when Carridin tells him that Mat is in Ebou Dar and mutters something about betrayal. He orders Carridin to leave Mat alone unless he interferes and to keep looking for the stash of *angreal. When Carridin tells him there are Aes Sedai in the city he says he will send ... someone ... to help. He gates to some place full of columns and mist. (ACoS,Ch15)
- Sammael and Graendal meet with Sevanna. He is disguised masquerading as Caddar. He tells Sevanna to keep after Rand and, if she takes him, he will bring her something that will control him. (ACoS,Ch20)
- Sammael and Graendal meet again with Sevanna six days later. He gives her a binder he got the previous day and tells her again he will bring her something to control Rand. He sends the Shaido through gateways scattering them from Illian to Ghealdan but does not realize that Sevanna takes all of the channeling Wise Ones with her to Ghealdan. (ACoS,Ch40)
- When Rand's forces reach the hillforts Sammael appears immediately to take part in the battle. Sammael Travels into Illian several hours after Rand and the Asha'man arrive. He Travels to Shadar Logoth and Rand follows. Rand spots him near the Waygate and begins to balefire him. Before he can, Rand is distracted by Liah. When he turns back, the area where Sammael stood is covered by Mashadar. Sammael is dead. (ACoS,Ch41)
- TDR,Ch6 - First mention of Sammael as one of the Forsaken.
- TDR,Ch42 - Nieda reports to Moiraine that Lord Brend appeared before winter and now leads the Council of Nine.
- TDR,Ch44 - Moiraine learns that Lord Brend is, in fact, Sammael.
- TDR,Ch50 - Be'lal and Sammael are both masters of the sword.
- TSR,Ch6 - Moiraine wants Rand to make war on Illian and Sammael.
- TSR,Ch9 - Lanfear warns Rand that Sammael, Rahvin and Moghedien fear him too much to wait.
- TSR,Ch21 - Moiraine still thinks Rand should attack Sammael in Illian.
- TSR,Ch39 - Nynaeve tells Bayle Domon that Sammael now runs Illian.
- TSR,Ch57 - Lanfear tells Rand that Asmodean is his only option as a teacher. Demandred, Rahvin or Sammael would kill him.
- TSR,Ch58 - Lanfear warns Rand to use Asmodean wisely. Demandred with his hatred, Rahvin with his lust for power or Sammael with his envy will come after him if they learn he has the control statue.
- TFoH,Prologue - Sammael likes to dupe his enemies into thinking they can take him by surprise. Sammael's way of attack is always armies and open conquest.
- TFoH,Ch2 - Rand is reluctant to go after Sammael because he might find others there as well waiting for him.
- TFoH,Ch3 - Asmodean confirms to Rand that Sammael is in Illian.
- TFoH,Ch6 - Rand questions Lanfear's assertion that Rahvin sent the Darkhounds. Why not Demandred or Sammael or Semirhage or Moghedien?
- TFoH,Ch22 - Shadowspawn and Darkfriends attack Rand's camp yelling, "Sammael and the Golden Bees." Later, Rand and Asmodean discuss whether the attack came from Sammael or one of the other Forsaken. Rand recalls that Sammael tried to bait him the same way at Serendahar.
- TFoH,Ch22 - Sammael always wished he were taller and resented it that the One Power could not make him so.
- TFoH,Ch44 - Rand recalls that Sammael's real name was Tel Janin and that he was intensely jealous. He recalls some of Sammael's infamous exploits during the War of Power and that he was named Destroyer of Hope.
- TFoH,Ch45 - Rand remembers that Sammael's full name was Tel Janin Aellinsar.
- TFoH,Ch45 - Rand thinks that he has at least made a start against Sammael by sending Weiramon back to Tear.
- TFoH,Ch46 - Rand knows that he must secure Cairhien before he can move against Sammael.
- TFoH,Ch47 - Egwene reports that Rand won a great victory over Sammael's forces.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Rand is concentrating on Sammael, building his army in Tear.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Mat thinks the Melindhra's nine bees dagger means that Sammael ordered her to kill him.
- TFoH,Ch52 - Mat tells Rand about the attack. Rand says he will deal with Sammael later.
- TFoH,Ch54 - Moghedien tells Nynaeve that Graendal, Lanfear, Rahvin and Sammael are plotting against Rand. They will draw him to Sammael and the others will be waiting. At least Rahvin and Graendal will. She thinks Lanfear has other plans.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Thinking of Sammael in Illian, the rest of the Forsaken and the Seanchan, Rand tells Bashere that there will be blood and death before there is peace.
- LoC,Prologue - Graendal reports to Demandred that Sammael will not attend their meeting. He is too busy with army and his hunt for angreal. Demandred replies that they are to tell Sammael nothing about the Great Lord's orders.
- LoC,Ch4 - Rand discusses Sammael's defenses in Illian.
- LoC,Ch5 - Rand visits Mat and rants about finishing Sammael. He always thinks in straight lines so he can be gulled.
- LoC,Ch7 - Elayne worries about Sammael being only a few hundred miles away.
- LoC,Ch14 - Anaiya first thinks the bubble of evil in Salidar is an attack by Sammael.
- LoC,Ch16 - Andris arrives at the Royal Palace at Caemlyn with a message from Sammael offering a truce. Rand angrily turns it down.
- LoC,Ch17 - Rhuarc and Berelain report to Rand on rebellions and other problems, but Rand insists that they remain focused on Sammael.
- LoC,Ch28 - Rand and Taim talk about Sammael's defenses.
- LoC,Ch33 - When Rand sends Mat to Salidar, Mat worries that this might draw Sammael's attention away from Tear but Rand is not concerned.
- LoC,Ch42 - When Rand threatens Taim about staying away from the Aes Sedai, Taim asks if he will be held responsible if, say, Sammael or Demandred decides to kill an Aes Sedai.
- LoC,Ch50 - Lews Therin mutters about killing Sammael and Demandred.
- LoC,Ch51 - Lews Therin mutters that he will kill Demandred first, then Sammael.
- LoC,Ch53 - Sevanna still has Sammael's call box but she decides not to use it after she sees Rand.
- ACoS,Ch7 - In Rand's head Lews Therin rants about killing Sammael and Demandred whenever he sees the Asha'man.
- ACoS,Ch7 - From Lews Therin Rand knows that Sammael was at his best defending. Rand thinks about Sammael's hillforts in the Doirlon Hills just inside Illian. He is worried about finding the missing little fat man before their confrontation.
- ACoS,Ch8 - Egwene thinks Sammael, Asmodean or Demandred freed Moghedien.
- ACoS,Ch40 - Graendal questions whether he will succeed but cannot bring herself to break her tie to him yet.
- TPoD,Ch2 - Moridin things Sammael is a fool for spending so much time and effort trying to get the *angreal stash.
- TPoD,Ch11 - Sevanna finally acknowledges to the other Wise Ones that Caddar might have betrayed them.
- TPoD,Ch12 - After Sammael vanished Graendal rummaged through his quarters in the Great Hall of the Council in Illian and found a small gold ring angreal attuned to women.
- TPoD,Ch12 - Cyndane tells Graendal that Sammael is dead. Graendal acknowledges only an occasional contact with Sammael.
- TPoD,Ch13 - Rand confronts a group of soldiers who followed Lord Brend and gives them an ultimatum - join him or lay down their arms.
- TPoD,Ch13 - Rand wonders if Sammael might be responsible for the Aiel scattered across Illian.
- TPoD,Ch21 - Many of the Illianers who followed Lord Brend have joined Rand's army.
- CoT,Prologue � Rand gets the blame for all the Aiel on Almoth Plain though it was really Sammael's doing.
- KoD,Ch3 � Moridin has eleven chairs at the Forsaken meeting. Aran'gar does not understand why because Asmodean, Be'lal, Rahvin and Sammael are dead.
- KoD,Ch3 � Moridin is angry that someone masquerading as Sammael sent tens of thousands of Trollocs into the Ways.
- KoD,Ch18 � The image Rand sees in his head is the man who saved his life when he was chasing Sammael in Shadar Logoth.
- TGS,Prologue � Graendal is sure that Rand killed Sammael at Shadar Logoth.
- TGS,Ch22 � Rand wonders why Moridin saved him in Shadar Logoth when he was fighting Sammael.
- TGS,Ch37 � Rand says Graendal cannot be goaded like Sammael or Rahvin.