Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
aka: Great Lord of the Dark, Dark One, Father of Lies, Sightblinder, Lord of the Grave, Shepherd of the Night, Heartsbane, Heartfang, Grassburner, Leafblighter, Lighteater
The head bad guy.
- Mierin and Beidomon conduct an experiment to tap into a new source of the One Power. They unexpectedly open a hole into the Dark One's prison. The Sharom at the Collam Daan explodes in black fire. (TSR,Ch26)
- During the War of Power over a dozen of the Chosen die because of the Great Lord's suspicion. (WH,Ch13)
- Lews Therin and his Companions succeed in sealing the Bore trapping the Dark One and the thirteen Forsaken. (TSR,Ch26, Guide, SaSG)
- In his final battle with Rand, Ishamael calls on the Dark One for aid and the shadow surrounding him strengthens to the point that it matches Callandor in power. (TDR,Ch55)
- Demandred meets with the Great Lord in Shayol Ghul. He tells the Great Lord that Rahvin is dead and that Lanfear, Asmodean and Moghedien are missing. The Great Lord confirms that Rahvin and Asmodean are dead. He asks if Demandred will use balefire and tempts him with the title Nae'blis. He then gives a list of orders. (LoC,Prologue)
- The Great Lord revives Osan'gar and Aran'gar giving them new bodies and puts them under control of Shaidar Haran. (LoC,Prologue)
- The Great Lord all but promises to make Graendal Nae'blis. (LoC,Ch6)
- The Great Lord tells Semirhage to obey Shaidar Haran as though the words came from himself. (LoC,Ch6)
- In the Pit of Doom, Demandred says, "Have I not done well, Great Lord?" and the Great Lord laughs. (LoC,Epilogue)
- The Great Lord summons Moghedien to Shayol Ghul, chastises her for teaching his enemies, and has her fitted with a mindtrap. (ACoS,Ch25)
- Moridin kills Lanfear in Sindhol so that the Great Lord can put her soul in a new body. (AMoL,Prologue)
- The Great Lord offers the True Power to Rand and he accepts it, destroying the Domination Band and using balefire on Semirhage and Elza. (TGS,Ch22)
- As a reward for her successes, the Great Lord allows Graendal a trickle of the True Power. However, he is displeased that Aran'gar lost control of Egwene. (TGS,Prologue)
- Moridin gets direct orders from either the Great Lord or Shaidar Haran. (ToM,Ch5)
- TEotW,Earlier - Egwene wonders if all the ravens in Emond's Field are spies of the Dark One.
- TEotW,Ch1 - The dark rider was so scary Mat thought he might have been Aginor, Ishamael or even the Dark One himself.
- TEotW,Ch3 - Rand, Mat and Perrin recall that Bili Congar once named the Dark One then had very bad luck.
- TEotW,Ch8 - Ravens, crows, rats and other carrion eaters often serve as spies for the Dark One and his minions.
- TEotW,Ch8 - Moiraine tells Rand that the Dark One sent the Trollocs to Emond's Field because he fears Rand, Mat or Perrin or perhaps all three.
- TEotW,Ch25 - An Aiel Maiden returns from the Blight with a story the Leafblighter means to blind the Eye of the World.
- TEotW,Ch42 - Loial relates a story told by a man at Stedding Shangtai twenty years ago that the Dark One means to blind the Eye of the World.
- TEotW,Ch42 - Moiraine states that the Forsaken do not have a tenth the power of the Dark One.
- TEotW,Ch43 - Moiraine believes the Eye of the World has enough power to break the Dark One's prison.
- TEotW,Ch46 - Padan Fain offers to advise Lord Agelmar on how to defeat the Dark One.
- TEotW,Ch47 - It is possible that the Dark One impressed a part of himself on Padan Fain.
- TEotW,Ch50 - Moiraine believes the Eye of the World has enough power to either mend the seals of the Dark One's prison or to break it open.
- TEotW,Ch52 - Rand tells Moiraine that he killed the Dark One.
- TGH,Prologue - At the Darkfriend social, Bors does not know if Ba'alzamon in one of the Forsaken newly freed or the Dark One himself.
- TGH,Ch6 - Rand names the Dark One and immediately has a dizzy spell.
- TGH,Ch7 - The Dark Prophecy says, "Now the Great Lord comes."
- TGH,Ch15 - Ba'alzamon commands Rand to serve Shai'tan and the darkness around him thickens.
- TGH,Ch19 - Because of the Dark One's implant, Fain can still sense Rand and feels compelled to follow him.
- TDR,Ch21 - The Creator and the Dark One are constant in all worlds. Therefore, the Dark One must be bound in all worlds.
- TDR,Ch27 - "Silvie" tells Egwene that some claim to serve the Great Lord even though they lay their own plans for their own purposes.
- TDR,Ch30 - One of Mat's victims at dice tells Mat he has the Dark One's own luck upsetting him greatly.
- TDR,Ch33 - Moiraine explains that the Creator is good, the Dark One is evil, but the Pattern is neither.
- TDR,Ch36 - Lanfear tells Ba'alzamon that she serves the Great Lord and no other.
- TDR,Ch48 - Egwene dreams of Mat dicing with the Dark One.
- TDR,Ch55 - When Ba'alzamon dies, Rand believes he has killed the Dark One and won Tarmon Gai'don.
- TDR,Ch56 - Moiraine tells Mat, Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve that there is no way the Dark One is dead. He is still bound in Shayol Ghul by the weakening seals.
- TSR,Ch1 - Elaida had a Foretelling that the Royal line of Andor is the key to defeating the Dark One in the Last Battle.
- TSR,Ch3 - The weakening of the Dark One's prison is allowing bubbles of evil to escape.
- TSR,Ch9 - Lanfear tells Rand that the Great Lord wants to place Rand above the other Chosen. Then she tells him that with the giant statue sa'angreal the two of them could challenge even the Great Lord or the Creator.
- TSR,Ch58 - Rand severs Asmodean's connection to the Dark One. Lanfear is shocked. She did not know it was possible.
- TFoH,Ch3 - Asmodean tells Rand that he would give himself to Semirhage rather than face the Dark One for betrayal.
- TFoH,Ch6 - Seeing the two control statues, Lanfear tells Rand again that they could challenge the Great Lord or the Creator.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Despite everything Asmodean still thinks of the Dark One as the Great Lord.
- LoC,Prologue - Moghedien tells Nynaeve that all she knows about the hot weather is that it is the Dark One's doing.
- LoC,Ch2 - Rand tells Taim that the vision in the sky was not the Dark One, but Ba'alzamon who is Ishamael.
- LoC,Ch2 - Rand tells Taim that Mesaana set up schools to teach the glory of the Dark One.
- LoC,Ch2 - Taim presents a seal on the Dark One's prison to Rand.
- LoC,Ch18 - Herid Fel tells Rand somehow the Dark One's prison must be completely sealed for the Wheel of Time to turn.
- LoC,Ch23 - Without directly saying so, Sammael convinces Graendal that the Great Lord will make him Nae'blis.
- LoC,Ch28 - Padan Fain was changed by both Shadar Logoth and the Dark One.
- ACoS,Ch20 - The Great Lord provides his most favored minions with the True Power that comes directly from him. It is even more addictive and dangerous than the One Power.
- TPoD,Ch12 - Shaidar Haran tells Graendal that when he speaks she is to hear the voice of the Great Lord of the Dark.
- TPoD,Ch16 - Aran'gar thinks she could easily wipe out the entire Salidar Aes Sedai, but the Great Lord would not be pleased.
- TPoD,Ch22 - There is a saying in the Two Rivers that when rain falls in sunshine the Dark One is beating Semirhage.
- WH,Ch13 - The male Forsaken are concerned that the Great Lord will no longer trust them if Rand cleanses saidin, but Moridin assures them that the Great Lord trusts them, for now.
- WH,Ch21 - Seanchan names for the Dark One include the Dark Lord and Soulblinder.
- WH,Ch22 - The Great Lord gave Isam/Luc special gifts, but not immunity to weapons or poison. Only the Great Lord and the Chosen can command him.
- WH,Ch35 - Cyndane thinks that she would have challenged the Great Lord and the Creator with Lews Therin, but he spurned her.
- WH,Ch35 - Osan'gar thinks that if Rand succeeds, the Great Lord may kill both him and Moridin.
- WH,Ch35 - Elza Penfell thinks that the Great Lord will understand if she takes out one of the Chosen.
- CoT,Ch8 � When the powerful channeling occurs to the north, Annoura fears that the Dark One is loose.
- CoT,Ch21 � Alviarin is terrified of Shaidar Haran thinking he is the Great Lord incarnate.
- CoT,Ch24 � Elza Penfell's logic for protecting Rand is that he must survive to Tarmon Gai'don for the Great Lord to defeat him.
- CoT,Ch27 � Perrin feels that working with the Seanchan is like taking help from the Dark One, but he will do it anyway to save Faile.
- KoD,Prologue � Alviarin is still overwhelmed by her meeting with Shaidar Haran. She thinks he is the Great Lord himself.
- KoD,Ch8 � Mat dreams of men dying in hundreds of battles and the Dark One laughing.
- KoD,Ch10 � In Shandalle the Dark One was known as Caisen Hob or Old Hob.
- KoD,Ch12 � Soulblinder is a Seanchan term for the Dark One.
- KoD,Ch15 � Leafblighter is an Aiel term for the Dark One.
- TGS,Ch11 � Rand rails at the Dark One after a bubble of evil causes a soldier to burst into flame.
- TGS,Ch15 � Moridin tells Rand that the Great Lord can bring back his minion�s souls and give them new bodies unless they are destroyed by balefire.
- TGS,Ch15 � Rand intends to kill the Dark One. Moridin tells him he cannot comprehend how stupid that concept is.
- TGS,Ch22 � Semirhage is shocked and horrified when she realizes that the Great Lord betrayed her, giving the True Power to Rand.
- TGS,Ch25 � Seaine reports to Egwene that the Dark One is still causing changes in the White Tower.
- TGS,Ch35 � The Seanchan also call the Dark One Lighteater.
- TGS,Ch39 � Verin tells Egwene that Rand understands the Forsaken, but he does not understand the Great Lord at all. The battle is not being fought the way Rand thinks.
- TGS,Ch44 � Rand no longer cares about anyone or anything except fighting the Dark One at all cost.
- ToM,Prologue - The only emotion Padan Fain has left is his hatred for Rand and the Dark One.
- ToM,Prologue � What the Creator can create, the Great Lord can destroy.
- ToM,Ch15 � Rand says the Dark One would make the entire world like the bubble of evil that turned a section of Tear to dust. He must break the seals and confront the Dark One as soon as possible while they are still strong.
- ToM,Ch32 � Rand says he saved Maradon to defy the Dark One, but it may have been a mistake weakening himself so much.
- ToM,Epilogue � Tomorrow, Rand will tell the rulers of the world his price for going to Shayol Ghul to face the Dark One.
- AMoL,Prologue Slayer's new employer tells him to follow her orders alone, except for the Great Lord.