Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Lady Tigraine of House Mantear
"Shaiel" means "Woman Who Is Dedicated" in the Old Tongue.
Daughter of Queen Mordrellen and sister of Luc. She married Taringail Damodred and had a son named Galad. She disappeared in 972 NE. She went into the Aiel Waste and married Janduin. She gave birth to Rand on the slopes of Dragonmount. Her sign was a woman's hand gripping a thorny rose-stem with a white blossom.
She has golden hair. (TSR,Ch34)
- Tigraine marries Taringail.
- She gives birth to Galad.
- In 972 NE, Gitara Moroso tells Tigraine that disaster will befall the world unless she goes to the Three-fold Land, becomes a Maiden of the Spear, and does not return until the Maidens go to Tar Valon. (TSR,Ch34, LoC,Ch16)
- Tigraine goes to the Aiel Waste. She is found near death by Maidens including Amys and gives her name as Shaiel. She becomes a Maiden of the Spear and is adopted into the Chumai sept of the Taardad. (TSR,Ch34)
- Four years later she goes with the spears to the Westlands in the Aiel War. (TSR,Ch34)
- She becomes pregnant by Janduin. (TSR,Ch34)
- She gives births to Rand and then dies on the slopes of Dragonmount. (TEotW,Ch6)
- TEotW,Ch34 - Almen Bunt tells Rand and Mat about her.
- TGH,Ch7 - On reading the Dark Prophecy, Verin recalls that Luc was Tigraine's brother.
- TDR,Ch39 - Elayne notes that Rand looks like Tigraine.
- TDR,Ch45 - Coline recalls how much Rand resembles Tigraine.
- TDR,Ch47 - After Tigraine's disappearance, the line of succession was not clear. It was two years before Morgase claimed the Lion Throne.
- TFoH,Ch19 - Recalling the men in her past, Morgase thinks she married Taringail only because of his previous marriage to Tigraine.
- TSR,Ch34 - Amys tells Rand the story of his parents.
- TSR,Ch57 - Rand announces to the clan chiefs that his mother was Shaiel a Maiden of the Spear of the Chumai Taardad.
- LoC,Ch16 - Lady Dyelin tells Rand the story of Tigraine disappearing leaving behind her husband, Taringail, and her infant son, Galad. Rand realizes this as the story of Shaiel, his true mother.
- LoC,Ch26 - Elenia tells Rand that, by commoner standards, Tigraine and Morgase were not related at all. Rand is relieved that he is not related to Elayne.
- CoT,Ch11 � The Andoran succession is normally straightforward. Mantear only lost the throne to Trakand because Tigraine was missing when Mordrellen died.