Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Six gholam, three each appearing male and female, were created during the War of Power by Aginor as Aes Sedai assassins. They look like ordinary people but they are immensely strong and have no bones. They are immune to the One Power and can detect a channeler at fifty paces. One at least survived to the present in a stasis box. Gholam live on fresh blood. Gholam feel the One Power and even the True Power as an itch somewhat like Myrddraal do. They can detect the usage of the One Power over enormous distance - several miles.
For...creative...ideas on how one might deal with gholam see the FAQ, Section 1.6.2, local FAQ, Section 1.6.2.
- LoC,Ch3 - Rand warns Taim of Shadowspawn including Gholam.
- LoC,Ch23 - Graendal thinks only a mad man like Aginor would have made the Gholam.
- LoC,Epilogue - A Gholam kills Herid Fel.
- ACoS,Ch15 - Sammael tells Carridin that he will send ... someone ... to help him against Aes Sedai.
- ACoS,Ch38 - When Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve and the Kin arrive at the six story building to retrieve the Bowl of the Winds they are attacked by a gholam. It kills six of Mat's men and two of the Kin. Mat's foxhead medallion burns it severely.
- ACoS,Ch39 - Birgitte tells Mat all about gholam. The one that attacked must have survived in a stasis box.
- TPoD,Ch1 - Nynaeve warns Joline and Teslyn of the coming dangers including the gholam but they do not believe her.
- TPoD,Ch2 - The gholam watches as everyone Travels from the Tarasin Palace to the farm. It can tell where the farm is. It has orders to kill Mat and the girls but chooses to go after the women as they are an easier target.
- TPoD,Ch2 - Gholam live on fresh blood. The can feel the One Power and even the True Power as an itch somewhat like Myrddraal do. They can detect the usage of the One Power over enormous distance - several miles.
- WH,Ch16 - The gholam attacks Mat in an alley. Mat burns it again with the foxhead medallion. Noal Charin arrives and the gholam flees.
- WH,Ch17 - Mat tells his Redarms and Tylin about the gholam, but none of them will leave him.
- WH,Ch18 - There are stories of a man with his throat torn out outside Ebou Dar. Mat knows it must be the gholam.
- WH,Ch28 - There are strange murders nearly every night in Ebou Dar. The Seekers are sent out to find the madman.
- CoT,Ch3 - When Mat learns that Tylin was killed, her head torn off, he is sure it was the gholam.
- KoD,Ch11 � Thom brings news that the gholam made a kill in Jurador a couple of days after they left.
- KoD,Ch25 � Mat thinks they surely lost the gholam. It must be following Valan Luca's circus.
- TGS,Ch28 � Mat is a little depressed that Myrddraal, the gholam and Darkfriends are still after him.
- ToM,Ch9 - The gholam kills Lopin and two guards in Mat's tent and nearly kills Mat. It kills Gorderan and Fergin as it escapes.
- ToM,Ch31 - Mat sets a trap for the gholam. He tricks it through a Skimming gateway and it disappears in an endless fall.
- AMoL,Ch1 - The gholam is the only form of Shadowspawn that can survive Traveling.