Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Aginor created the Trollocs during the War of Power as soldiers for the Shadow. They are huge, maybe eight feet tall. They have the body of a man and the head and feet of an animal such as a bear, bird, wolf or goat. They are very strong and fast, but they are too stupid, lazy and cowardly to be good soldiers.
Trollocs see well in the dark, but bright light blinds them. Some can track by scent or sound, but they are lazy and easily give up. They kill for the pleasure of killing. They cannot be trusted unless they are afraid of you, and then not far.
Trollocs reproduce. Occasionally the offspring is a Myrddraal. For more information on Trollocs and Myrddraal see the FAQ Section 1.6.1, [[local FAQ Section 1.6.1]].
Trollocs are divided into tribe-like bands, each with their own sigil. The names are derived from various mythological creatures as shown below. There are twelve principal bands and numerous lesser bands as well.
- Ahf'frait � silver whirlwind (TGH,Ch16, KoD,Ch19) (Afrit)
- Al'ghol � hooked axe (KoD,Ch19) (Ghoul)
- Bhan'sheen - dagger-pierced skull (KoD,Ch19) (Banshee)
- Dha'vol (DAH-vohl) - horned skull (KoD,Ch19) (Devil)
- Dhai'mon (DEYE-mon) - iron fist (KoD,Ch19) (Demon)
- Dhjin'nen - skull cloven by a scythe-curved sword (KoD,Ch19) (Djinn)
- Ghar'ghael � piled human skulls (KoD,Ch19) (Gargoyle)
- Ghob'hlin � goat�s skull with fire behind (ToM,Ch21) (Goblin)
- Gho'hlem (Golem)
- Ghraem'lan � forked lightning (KoD,Ch19) (Gremlin)
- Ko'bal (KOH-bahl) - blood red trident (KoD,Ch19) (Kobold)
- Kno'mon � red, bloodstained fist (KoD,Ch19) (Gnome)
There is only one Trolloc whose name is given.
Trollocs have their own language. Here are a few phrases.
- Wotmania Interview - The True Power as well as the One Power was used in creation of Trollocs, which proved to be uncontrollable and useless as soldiers until the first Myrddraal were born, throwbacks to the human stock used in creating Trollocs, but twisted by the inclusion of the True Power in making Trollocs.
- NS,Ch9 � Among other dangers, Moiraine fights Trollocs during her test for the shawl.
- NS,Ch20 � In Manala there are Trolloc heads on posts from a recent raid. Lan is amazed that Moiraine has fought Trollocs.
- TEotW,Ch5 - Tam tells Rand what he knows of Trollocs. Trollocs see well in the dark, but bright light blinds them. Some can track by scent or sound, but they are lazy and easily give up. They kill for the pleasure of killing. They cannot be trusted unless they are afraid of you, and then not far.
- TEotW,Ch5 - A Trolloc named Narg tells Rand that the Myrddraal wants to talk to him.
- TEotW,Ch7 - Lan says that Trollocs from seven different bands were in on the attack on Emond's Field.
- TEotW,Ch8 - Trolloc weapons are made in the valley of Thakan'dar in the shadow of Shayol Ghul. A small cut can fester leading to serious illness or even death.
- TEotW,Ch10 - Wolves do not like Trollocs and vice versa.
- TEotW,Ch19 - Lan finds Trollocs in Shadar Logoth and brings back three horned-skull pins of the Dha'vol. He considers them the worst tribe.
- TEotW,Ch19 - Trollocs and Fades loathe deep water. Neither can swim. A Trolloc will not even wade waist deep water.
- TEotW,Ch21 - Nynaeve remembers that the Trollocs ignored her in Shadar Logoth once they caught her scent.
- TEotW,Ch45 - Trollocs have begun using the Ways to travel quickly and discreetly.
- TGH,Ch6 - Trollocs enter Fal Dara, steal the Horn of Valere and help free Padan Fain.
- TGH,Ch10 - There is a remmant of a monument commemorating Hawkwing's great victory over a Trolloc army at the field of Talidar.
- TGH,Ch10 - Ingtar and company find an empty village and figure the Trollocs took the villagers for dinner.
- TGH,Ch11 - Fain lets the Trollocs slaughter the villagers they captured.
- TGH,Ch14 - When Perrin sends out the scent of Trollocs, the wolves howl with intense hate.
- TGH,Ch16 - In the Portal Stone world, Hawkwing's monument to his victory at the field of Talidar is a monument to a Trolloc victory.
- TGH,Ch19 - Rand and Loial steal back the Horn killing several Trollocs in the process.
- TGH,Ch27 - Trollocs attack Rand and Loial and chase them to the Illuminators chapter house. Loial kills one of the Trollocs.
- TGH,Ch28 - Perrin reports to Ingtar that the wolves told him someone they call Shadowkiller killed the Trollocs that they found.
- TGH,Ch28 - Urien is excited when Ingtar tells him they are hunting Trollocs. The return of Trollocs is part of Aiel prophecy.
- TGH,Ch33 - Hurin reports that the Darkfriends who stole the Horn joined up with Trollocs in Barthanes' manor.
- TDR,Ch5 - A band of Trollocs led by at least two Fades attacks the camp of the Dragon Reborn.
- TGH,Ch34 - High Lord Turak wonders if a grolm could kill a Trolloc.
- TDR,Ch19 - Mat wakes with memories of fighting Trollocs during the Trolloc Wars.
- TDR,Ch22 - In her second trip through the three arches Egwene sees Caemlyn destroyed by Trollocs.
- TSR,Ch10 - An army of Fades and Trollocs invades the Stone of Tear. An opposing band of Fades and Trollocs arrives and fights them.
- TSR,Ch13 - A Fade called Mat "Hornsounder." A band of Trollocs swarmed over it before it could kill him.
- TSR,Ch14 - Faile saved Perrin from a Trolloc's axe.
- TSR,Ch16 - The Trollocs and Fades arrived at the Stone of Tear hidden in eight grain barges and thirty wagons.
- TSR,Ch17 - Thom spreads dissention in the Stone of Tear by openly questioning how it was that the Trollocs and Fades were allowed to enter.
- TSR,Ch26 - Trollocs and Fades were commonplace before and during the War of Power.
- TSR,Ch27 - In the Ways, Perrin and his party are attacked by Trollocs and a Fade.
- TSR,Ch29 - Perrin hears that the Two Rivers is under attack by Trollocs and that they killed his entire family.
- TSR,Ch30 - With the Waygate blocked, Perrin believes no more Trollocs will arrive.
- TSR,Ch31 - Perrin tells Verin that the Trollocs are coming through the Ways and she replies that she suspected as much from what Moiraine told her.
- TSR,Ch32 - Perrin, Verin and the others discuss the Trollocs' selective attacks and he concludes that it must be a lure for Rand.
- TSR,Ch37 - Trollocs and Fades attack Rand and the Aiel while they are camped at Imre Stand.
- TSR,Ch40 - After hunting Trollocs, Perrin's band is tricked and attacked by a band of Trollocs and a Fade.
- TSR,Ch41 - Perrin, Faile and Ihvon discuss the battle against Trollocs.
- TSR,Ch44 - Five hundred Trollocs and three Fades attack Emond's Field to test their defenses.
- TSR,Ch45 - The Trollocs also attack the Tinkers and wipe out most of them.
- TSR,Ch50 - Trollocs and Draghkar attack Rand and the Aiel at Cold Rocks Hold.
- TSR,Ch53 - The Trolloc attacks continue. There are thousands of them and maybe fifty Fades in the Two Rivers.
- TSR,Ch56 - The Trollocs and Fades mount a final, all-out attack on Emond's Field but the combined forces of the Two Rivers defeat them.
- TFoH,Ch3 - Mat remembers fighting Trollocs at Maighande.
- TFoH,Ch22 - Trollocs, Fades and Darkfriends attack Rand's camp in Jangai Pass creating a diversion so that two Draghkar can attack Rand.
- TFoH,Ch54 - When Rand arrives in Caemlyn there are hoards of Trollocs and Fades waiting in the Royal Palace and the surrounding city.
- TFoH,Ch55 - After killing Rahvin Rand helps the Aiel rout the Trollocs and Fades.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Bael leads the hunt for the remaining Trollocs in Caemlyn.
- LoC,Prologue - Osan'gar helped make the Trollocs, but he is still uneasy around Fades. Trollocs have a sense of humor. Fades do not.
- LoC,Ch3 - Rand warns Taim about Shadowspawn including Trollocs.
- LoC,Ch6 - Sammael sent the Trollocs and Fades that attacked the Stone of Tear. Semirhage, on orders from the Dark One, sent the counter forces.
- LoC,Ch7 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Carlinya gets caught in a nightmare of Trollocs.
- LoC,Ch10 - The Two Rivers girls tell Rand about Perrin, Faile, Padan Fain, the Whitecloaks and the Trollocs.
- LoC,Ch28 - Fain still has a few Trollocs and Darkfriends waiting for him outside Caemlyn.
- ACoS,Ch11 - During the Trolloc Wars Dreadlords and Trollocs plundered part of the White Tower.
- WH,Ch35 - Osan'gar made the Trollocs and the Myrddraal sprang from them.
- CoT,Ch27 � Perrin felt like he was enjoying himself fighting Trollocs in the Two Rivers.
- KoD,Ch3 � Someone masquerading as Sammael sends a hundred Myrddraal and tens of thousands of Trollocs into the Ways.
- KoD,Ch12 � Perrin tells Neald how brave the Tinkers were defending against Trollocs.
- KoD,Ch15 � The Aiel call Trollocs "Shadowtwisted".
- KoD,Ch15 � The dull dagger prevents Shadowspawn from seeing the possessor.
- KoD,Ch19 � In addition to the twelve principal bands there are lesser bands. The sigils of some of them are a staring eye, a dagger-pierced hand and a man-shape wrapped in flames.
- KoD,Ch19 � Tens of thousands of Trollocs led by a hundred Fades attack Rand at Lord Algarin's manor. Lews Therin takes over and he and the Asha'man destroy them with Blossoms of Fire, Deathgates and Arrows of Fire.
- KoD,Ch20 � The Aes Sedai and Asha'man slowly clean up the dead Fades and Trollocs incinerating the corpses with Fire.
- TGS,Prologue � Trollocs attack Tylee's army just outside of Ebou Dar.
- TGS,Ch19 � Tylee arrives in Ebou Dar and reports the Trolloc attack directly to the Daughter of the Nine Moons. She brings heads and bodies as proof.
- TGS,Ch44 � Ituralde reports that Trollocs are massing in the Blight.
- ToM,Prologue - A fog coming from Fain turns a group of Trollocs into Trolloc zombies.