Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Cairhien is in the east-central part of the Westlands. During the time after the Breaking, this area was the nation of Almoren.
Shortly into the War of the Hundred Years, nobles of the province of Cairhien seized control and murdered every descendant of the last rulers of Tova. After months of infighting, Lord Matraine Colmcille was crowned first King of Cairhien.
airhien is ruled by a monarchy.
As with most nations of the Westlands, there are numerous strong noble Houses that wield influence. Known Houses of Cairhien are listed below.
- Aesnan - Lorstrum
- Annallin - Dalthanes, Daricain
- Chuliandred - Alaine, Doressin
- Daganred - Meresin
- Damodred - Laman, Barthanes, Moiraine, Taringail, Galad, Caraline, Moressin, Aldecain, Anvaere, Innloine
- Delovinde - Talmanes
- TWoTRPG - Information on the history and culture of Cairhien.
- PotD - During the Aiel War, House Mecandes lost its power because its wealth was based on trade through the Silk Path.
- NS,Ch1 - Lan and Bukama were in Cairhien, Andor and Tear for two years fighting the Aiel War.
- NS,Ch6 � The White Tower wants Moiraine as Queen of Cairhien.
- NS,Ch6 - Outside of Moiraine's immediate family, House Damodred has a reputation for dark character.
- NS,Ch13 � A Cairhienin spy stalks Moiraine.
- NS,Ch13 � The colors of House Damodred are red, green and white.
- NS,Ch14 � Various Cairhienin Houses ply Moiraine.
- NS,Ch17 � There are four Houses vying for the throne.
- NS,Ch21 � A Cairhienin spy hires Caniedrin to assassinate Moiraine.
- TEotW,Ch36 - Originally, the full name of Cairhien was Al'cair'rahienallen - Hill of the Golden Dawn in the Old Tongue.
- TGH,Ch9 � The sigil of Cairhien is the Rising Sun.
- TGH,Ch9 � The sigil of House Riatin is Five Stars.
- TGH,Ch21 � The colors of House Caldevwin are red and yellow.
- TDR,Ch28 - Prices are high in Cairhien because of the civil war.
- TDR,Ch37 - Andor and Cairhien have fought nearly as many wars as Illian and Tear, but they are currently on good terms.
- TDR,Ch46 - Gaebril encourages Morgase to claim the Sun Throne by right of her marriage to Taringail Damodred.
- TSR,Ch13 � In a tavern in the Maule, Mat spots an out-of-luck Cairhienin noble wearing slashes of red, gold and green.
- TSR,Ch17 - The civil war in Cairhien is so bad that people are starving.
- TSR,Ch21 - Rand sends the Tairen army led by several High Lords to restore order and ease the famine in Cairhien.
- TSR,Ch34 - Rhuarc explains some of Rand's visions in the glass columns. The young man giving them water was Cairhienin. This led to the gift of Avendoraldera, its cutting by Laman, the Aiel War, and thereby Rand's birth.
- TSR,Ch41 - Raen tells Perrin that his band of Tinkers traveled from Cairhien to Ghealdan to Andor in the past year.
- TFoH,Ch1 - Alteima tells Morgase that Rand left Tear with the Aiel. Morgase is surprised because she thought he was headed to Cairhien.
- TFoH,Ch23 - The Shaido enter Cairhien followed a few days later by Rand and the other clans.
- TFoH,Ch24 - Egwene tells Elayne that they are now in Cairhien. Couladin and the Shaido decimated the town of Selean.
- TFoH,Ch33 - There are Andoran soldiers in Cairhien. They want take the Sun Throne for Morgase.
- ACoS,Ch3 - Rand intends the thrones of Andor and Cairhien for Elayne.
- ACoS,Ch4 � The colors of House Saighan are red, yellow and silver. The sign of House Saighan is a silver diamond on a red and yellow checked field.
- ACoS,Ch5 - Since the Aiel War, most of the farms near the Dragonwall are small and many have been abandoned.
- ACoS,Ch19 � The colors of House Dhulaine are red and green.
- ACoS,Ch35 � The colors of House Damodred are red and green and white.
- TPoD,Ch21 - House Maravin has old alliances with House Riatin.
- TPoD,Ch24 - House Saighan has estates in a region called Colchaine.
- TPoD,Ch27 � The colors of House Taborwin are blue and white.
- WH,Prologue - Rand chooses Dobraine to be his steward in Cairhien until Elayne claims the Sun Throne.
- WH,Ch25 - Alanna reports to Rand that not all in Cairhien are happy with Dobraine as regent. Some may support Toram Riatin if he returns. Rand sends her back to Cairhien.
- CoT,Prologue � Some nobles want to raise Ailil to High Seat of House Riatin, but the Aes Sedai refuse as Toram Riatin might still be alive.
- KoD,Ch24 � The Great Winter War was fought between Andor and Cairhien in 671 NE.
- TGS,Ch9 � Once the Asha'man are sufficiently recovered, Perrin plans to Travel to Cairhien or Andor to find Rand.