Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Map: A map of Far Madding is available in WH hc p. 431, pb p. 497.
A city-state in the east central part of the Westlands. It lies at the north end of the Plains of Maredo near the borders of Andor, Illian and Tear. There is a Waygate nearby.
Far Madding lies on an island in the center of a lake. There are three gates and three bridges connecting the city to the mainland. The Caemlyn Gate leads to the Ajalon Bridge and the village of Glancor. The Illian Gate leads to the Ikane Bridge and the village of Daigan. The Tear Gate leads to the Goim Bridge and the village of South Bridge.
There are three Strangers' Markets in Far Madding where foreigners are allowed to trade. They are the Amhara Market, the Avharin Market and the Nethvin Market. They are named after the three most revered women in Far Madding history. At the center of the city is the Counsels' Plaza and the Hall of the Counsels.
In the time after the Breaking, the city was known as Aren Mador and was the capital of Essenia. After the Trolloc Wars, the city was known as Fel Moreina. After the War of the Hundred Years, Far Madding was the capital of Maredo until the nation fell apart. Far Madding is now an independent city-state and a major center of commerce.
In the Hall of the Counsels there is a ter'angreal known as the guardian. This ter'angreal acts as a shield to the True Source for women, starting at the city's border, and for men at a much greater distance. It also acts as a direction finder for anyone who channels nearby.
Far Madding is governed by the thirteen Counsels. The First Counsel is a "first among equals."
- LoC,Ch4 - Far Madding lies at the north end of the Plains of Maredo.
- LoC,Ch20 - A Waygate was grown near Aren Mador, now Far Madding.
- TPoD,Ch10 - In Far Madding, women expect men to obey them.
- TPoD,Ch12 - Cadsuane is so frustrated with Rand she almost wishes he was raised in Far Madding.
- TPoD,Ch21 - The Gold Road, a major thoroughfare of commerce, runs from Illian to Far Madding.
- WH,Ch22 - Rand, Min, Nynaeve, Lan and Alivia arrive in Far Madding and await the arrival of the traitor Asha'man.
- WH,Ch22 - Raolin Darksbane was born in Aren Mador. Yurian Stonebow was born in Fel Moreina.
- WH,Ch22 - There are three Strangers Markets in Far Madding where foreigners are allowed to trade. Each is named for a famous historical leader. In the Amhara Market there is a statue of Savion Amhara who points toward the Tear Gate.
- WH,Ch22 - The Hall of the Counsels, the center of government in Far Madding, lies at the center of the city.
- WH,Ch22 - Far Madding was known as Aren Mador and was the capital of Essenia after the Breaking. It was known as Fel Moreina during the Trolloc Wars.
- WH,Ch23 - Cadsuane and her party Travel from the Sun Palace to the Hills of Kintara just north of Far Madding. They enter the city via the Caemlyn Gate.
- WH,Ch24 - Cadsuane was last in Far Madding twenty years ago during the Aiel War.
- WH,Ch25 - Verin was exiled from Far Madding many years ago.
- WH,Ch35 - Rand and the others leave Far Madding for Shadar Logoth.
- CoT,Ch12 � Birgitte reports to Elayne that a Yellow Ajah sister left The Silver Swan and headed south toward Far Madding.
- KoD,Ch20 � Rand sealed the Waygates at Caemlyn, Cairhien, Illian and Tear. He put a deadly trap on the open one at Fal Dara but he could not find the Waygate at Far Madding.
- KoD,Ch23 � Romanda Cassin is from Far Madding. After she retired, her personal servant Aelmara helped her escape from Far Madding after a misunderstanding. Escaralde is also from Far Madding.
- TGS,Ch44 � The Borderlanders army camps outside Far Madding and tries to persuade Rand to come within the range of the guardian.
- ToM,Ch51 - Rand meets with the Borderland rulers at Far Madding.