Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Mayene is an independent city-state located on the end of a peninsula in the Sea of Storms. To the west is Tear and to the north are the Drowned Lands. The sign of Mayene is a golden hawk in flight.
The ruling family of Mayene claims to be descended from Artur Hawkwing, and uses the Paendrag name. The man or woman who rules Mayene is styled "the First", which once meant the first lord or lady. The military force of Mayene, the Winged Guards, are commanded by Lord Captain Bertain Gallenne.
The list of past and present Firsts:
- TGH,Ch7 - Some strangers offer Bayle Domon a fortune to go to Mayene, but it is really a trap.
- TDR,Ch56 - Berelain is the First of Mayene.
- TSR,Ch6 - Mayene owned the twisted red doorway until Halvar traded it to Tear three hundred years ago.
- TSR,Ch8 - Rand orders the High Lords to negotiate with Mayene for ships to carry grain to Illian.
- TSR,Ch9 - Rand orders Meilan and Sunamon to write a better treaty with Mayene and present it to Berelain or he will hang them.
- TSR,Ch14 - Berelain plans to return to Mayene the same day everyone else leaves.
- TSR,Ch19 - Toram had been planning to go there.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Berelain brings small army of Winged Guards from Mayene to Cairhien to support Rand.
- LoC,Ch53 - Berelain brought two thief-catchers with her from Mayene.
- LoC,Ch54 - Havien Nurelle leads two hundred Winged Guards north from Cairhien to help free Rand.
- LoC,Ch55 - Nurelle leads the Winged Guards in the battle at Dumai's Wells.
- KoD,Ch4 � General Tylee Khirgan acknowledges Berelain Paendrag as being of the blood of Artur Hawkwing...as long as she does not attempt to claim imperial rights.