Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Map: A map of Shara is available in the Guide, p. 152.
A mysterious country largely unknown to the Westlands. It is variously known as Shamara, Co'dansin, Tomaka or Kigali. It is also known as Shibouya.
East of the Aiel Waste.
Shara is ruled by absolute monarchs, the Sh'boan and Sh'botay. Every seven years, the longer reigning spouse dies a "natural" death and a new one is chosen. The current Sh'boan and Sh'botay, Chiape and Shaofan, are enjoying Graendal's hospitality.
- NS,Ch3 � Siuan intends to have adventures and see the world, maybe Shara or the lands across the Aryth Ocean.
- TGH,Ch31 - Jain Farstrider recounts his visit to the lands beyond the Aiel Waste in The Travels of Jain Farstrider.
- TDR,Ch9 - In the wolf dream, Perrin encounters a strange, arrogant man dressed all in yellow. His coat flares over his hips and his breeches flare over his boots. He has an odd accent that is quick and sharp. This fits none of the peoples of the Westlands or Seanchan so it is likely that he is Sharan.
- TSR,Ch20 - Among other goods, silk and ivory come from Shara.
- TSR,Ch20 - The Sharans are extremely secretive. They only allow Sea Folk to dock at certain walled ports and Aiel to trade at certain walled cities. Anyone who attempts to pass the walls disappears.
- TFoH,Ch13 - Valan Luca claims his giant boar-horses come from Shara.
- LoC,Ch6 - Graendal displays the Sh'boan and Sh'botay of Shara as her latest pets.
- LoC,Ch6 - The rulers of Shara are the Sh'boan and Sh'botay, something like empress and emperor. Every seven years one dies a "natural" death and a new one is chosen. Women who can channel are called Ayyad and live in separate areas.
- LoC,Ch17 - There has not been a battle in Shara since the Trolloc Wars, but news of the Dragon Reborn has caused fighting to break out.
- LoC,Ch17 - Sharans are renowned liars. Trade with them is risky.
- LoC,Ch17 - Rand remembers reading about Shara in The Travels of Jain Farstrider. It is variously known as Shamara, Co'dansin, Tomaka or Kigali.
- WH,Prologue - After the attack on Rand in the Sun Palace, Rand Travels to Rhuidean where he asks about Shara. He then Travels to Tear where he asks about Chachin, setting up false trails.
- WH,Ch28 - Noal Charin claims to have visited a land called Shibouya beyond the Aiel Waste.
- CoT,Ch1 - Noal catches fish to make a stew he had in Shara.
- CoT,Ch28 - Noal tells Olver of Co'dansin and the Ayyad, channelers who tattoo their faces.
- KoD,Ch6 � Noal tells stories about the Ayyad in Shara.
- KoD,Ch25 � Noal tells about a great coastal city of Shara. Foreigners may only leave by ship and inhabitants may not leave at all.
- TGS,Ch26 � Large roaches invade Romanda�s tent in the rebel camp. They are a variety only found in Shara.