Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Pronunciation: TAHR vah-LOHN (The pronunciation in the glossaries is incorrect.)
Map: A map of Tar Valon is available in TDR hc p. 105, pb p. 146, and in the Guide, p. 212. There is a large map of Tar Valon in TWoTRPG, p. 275.
A city on an island in the River Erinin. The west and east branches of the river are called the Alindrelle Erinin and the Osendrelle Erinin respectively. Six great bridges span the rivers and there are small villages at the base of each, Jualdhe, Darein and Alindaer (the Alindaer Bridge) to the west and Luagde, Daghain and Osenrein (the Ostrein Bridge) to the east. There are other small villages nearby on the mainland such as Dorlan and Eldone Market.
The city is surrounded by tall white walls known as the Shining Walls. Most of the city was built by Ogier. Even inns and shops look more like palaces. Many buildings are artfully designed to look like breaking waves, shells and other designs that all fit together as a whole. There are many open squares with fountains and trees.
Tar Valon is the center of Aes Sedai power, and the location of the White Tower.
- TWoTRPG - Information on the history and culture of Tar Valon.
- Guide � The construction of the White Tower and Tar Valon began in 98 AB. It was not completed until 202 AB.
- Guide and map in TDR - The Erinin River splits at Tar Valon. The western branch is called the Alindrelle Erinin and the eastern branch, the Osendrelle Erinin.
- NS,Ch14 � Moiraine rides Arrow to Northharbor where she boards the Bluewing to leave.
- TEotW,Ch3 - Fain tells Emond's Field that Aes Sedai left Tar Valon to go after the false Dragon in Ghealdan.
- TEotW,Ch4 - Tam tells Rand that a straight line from Tar Valon to Ghealdan would pass just east of the Two Rivers, but it is silly to think that the Aes Sedai going after Logain would travel cross-country through the Forest of Shadows instead of taking the road through Caemlyn and Lugard.
- TEotW,Ch8 - After telling Rand that the Trollocs came after Mat, Perrin and him, Moiraine offers to take the three of them to Tar Valon for safety.
- TEotW,Ch9 - Rand dreams of Dragonmount, Tar Valon and the White Tower.
- TEotW,Ch10 - Thom Merrilin has never performed in Tar Valon.
- TEotW,Ch26 - Logain is being taken to Tar Valon.
- TEotW,Ch47 - The Ogier grove at Manetheren was the most beautiful of all except for Tar Valon.
- TGH,Ch4 - Elayne, Gawyn, Elaida and Logain arrived in Tar Valon. A company of Whitecloaks followed them and remains camped nearby.
- TGH,Ch5 - Siuan and Moiraine originally planned to bring Rand to Tar Valon where they would hide and guide him.
- TGH,Ch7 - The Dark Prophecy states that, when the Daughter of the Night comes, "The Shining Walls shall kneel."
- TGH,Ch18 - The Amyrlin's party including Egwene and Nynaeve arrives at Northharbor.
- TGH,Ch18 � A detailed description of Tar Valon.
- TGH,Ch39 - The Ogier grove in Tar Valon is still intact. It lies south of the White Tower.
- TGH,Ch44 - Geofram Bornhald orders Jaret Byar to carry news of his fate to Dain Bornhald near Tar Valon.
- TGH,Ch49 - Verin leaves with Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve and Hurin to take Mat, the Horn of Valere and the ruby dagger to Tar Valon.
- TDR, Map - Six villages lie at the bases of the six bridges spanning the river. The three to the west are Jualdhe, Darein and Alindaer. The three to the east are Luagde, Daghain and Osenrein.
- TDR,Prologue - Pedron Niall gives leave for Jaret Byar to go to Tar Valon with news of Falme.
- TDR,Ch6 - Moiraine sends Min to Tar Valon to report to Siuan.
- TDR,Ch10 - Verin, Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne, Hurin and Mat arrive at Tar Valon.
- TDR,Ch20 - Abell Cauthon and Tam al'Thor came to Tar Valon looking for Mat and Rand.
- TDR,Ch30 - The section of Tar Valon at the southern end of the island is called Southharbor.
- TDR,Ch31 - The Aes Sedai and the guards ensure that there are no thieves in Tar Valon.
- TDR,Ch32 - Mat and Thom escape Tar Valon.
- TDR,Ch32 - High Lord Samon of Tear is instilling a hatred of Illian and Tar Valon in his people.
- TDR,Ch36 - One of the Darkfriends that Ba'alzamon interviews is from Tar Valon. Ba'alzamon kills him for letting the boy escape.
- TDR,Ch42 - Moiraine tells Lan to take Perrin to Tar Valon if she does not return.
- TDR,Ch45 - The relationship between Tar Valon and Andor worsened since Lord Gaebril arrived.
- TDR,Ch53 - Moiraine tells Perrin, Faile and Loial to leave immediately for Tar Valon, but Faile is trapped and Perrin refuses.
- TSR,Ch1 - The people of Tar Valon have a saying - "The Wheel of Time turns around Tar Valon and Tar Valon turns around the Tower."
- TSR,Ch1 - The Ostrein Bridge leads south from Tar Valon.
- TSR,Ch25 � In the time of Rhodric when the Aiel first cross the Spine of the World, the Aes Sedai hire Ogier stonemasons to build them a new city.
- TSR,Ch31 - Abell Cauthon and Tam al'Thor traveled to Tar Valon in search of their sons. Leane sent them away with only vague assurances.
- TSR,Ch55 - Elayne and Nynaeve plan to take the seal they found to Tar Valon.
- TSR,Ch56 - Padan Fain plans to go to Caemlyn, then Tar Valon.
- TFoH,Ch9 - Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom and Juilin are on their way to Tar Valon.
- TFoH,Ch10 - Ronde Macura planned to have Therin Lugay take Elayne and Nynaeve to Tar Valon. She sends messages to Tar Valon detailing their capture and escape.
- TFoH,Ch29 - Kadere plans to accompany Moiraine to Tar Valon as that coincides with his own plans.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Kadere looks for ships from Cairhien to Tar Valon to take all the stuff from Rhuidean.
- LoC,Ch7 - Leane still has an extensive eyes-and-ears organization in Tar Valon.
- LoC,Ch9 - Pedron Niall orders Eamon Valda and the rest of the Whitecloaks stationed at Tar Valon to return to Amador.
- LoC,Ch20 - The Ogier built a Waygate at Tar Valon during its construction.
- LoC,Ch26 - After Artur Hawkwing's death, Ishara married Souran Maravaile and ended the siege of Tar Valon. She also started the tradition of sending the Daughter-Heir to the White Tower for training.
- LoC,Ch39 - It is imperative that the Salidar Aes Sedai begin moving and the only open direction is north toward Tar Valon.
- ACoS,Prologue - After the battle at Dumai's Wells Gawyn and the Younglings head back to Tar Valon.
- ACoS,Ch11 - Gareth Bryne plans to lay siege on Tar Valon.
- ACoS,Ch19 - Cadsuane spends as little time as possible in Tar Valon.
- TPoD,Ch2 - Moridin thinks to himself that he has spies in Tar Valon, with Rand, and with the Salidar Aes Sedai.
- WH,Ch26 - Egwene and her forces will Travel to Tar Valon tomorrow.
- WH,Ch27 - Today is the day that Egwene and her forces Travel to Tar Valon.
- WH,Ch35 - The enormous flow of saidar at Shadar Logoth is certainly strong enough to be felt at Tar Valon.
- CoT,Prologue � Egwene's army arrives at Tar Valon and lays siege.
- CoT,Ch4 - Furyk Karede studies a map of Tar Valon that is part of Lord Yulan's plan.
- CoT,Ch16 � Egwene and Gareth Bryne scout Tar Valon and the White Tower from the bank of the River Erinin. There is a huge chain across Northharbor to prevent attack.
- CoT,Ch17 � The Salidar Aes Sedai camp is halfway between Tar Valon and Dragonmount.
- CoT,Ch18 � Leane's eyes-and-ears report that Tar Valon is becoming dirty and dangerous as patrols only watch the harbors.
- CoT,Ch21 � Alviarin is shocked when she returns to Tar Valon to find it surrounded by Egwene's army.
- CoT,Ch30 � Egwene turns the chain across Northharbor into cuendillar before she is captured.
- KoD,Prologue � Northharbor is completely blocked and Southharbor is halfway blocked with the converted chains.
- KoD,Prologue � Egwene is disgusted with the lack of sanitation and repair in Tar Valon.
- KoD,Ch2 � Southharbor is only slightly functional. Only ships with shallow draft can pass into the harbor.
- TGS,Ch26 � Shemerin reveals to the rebels that she escaped from Tar Valon through a secret waterway to the river.
- TGS,Ch36 � Verin and Tomas set out from Tear to Tar Valon, but Mat�s ta'veren nature and the Pattern drive them to Trustair.
- TGS,Ch38 � While using Need in Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene finds in Tar Valon in front of the White Tower with its shadow cast on her.
- TGS,Ch41 � Gawyn, Siuan, Bryne and a hundred soldiers sneak into Tar Valon through the secret river entrance to rescue Egwene.
- ToM,Ch1 - Shyman's Road runs by Negin Bridge near the foot of Dragonmount toward other nearby villages.