Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Horn of Valere
"In the last, lorn fight
'gainst the fall of long night,
the mountains stand guard,
and the dead shall be ward,
for the grave is no bar to my call."
The legendary object of the Great Hunt of the Horn. The Horn of Valere can call back dead heroes from the grave to fight against the Shadow.
Heroes of the Horn
- Tor Website Q&A � The Horn of Valere was known during the Age of Legends. It was an artifact from an earlier Age. It was never used, partly because the Third Age was mostly peaceful and partly because its power was considered a myth. It was lost and thought destroyed during the violence that preceded the War of Power. After its recovery, it was included with the Dragon Banner and the Eye of the World because the Foretellings that made up the Prophecies of the Dragon said it must be so.
- TEotW,Ch15 � Thom performs the Great Hunt of the Horn in the Stag and Lion in Baerlon.
- TEotW,Ch15 � Thom tells Rand and Mat that young men from Illian hunt the Horn.
- TEotW,Ch17 - Thom tells tales of the Great Hunt of the Horn.
- TEotW,Ch26 - In Whitebridge, Rand, Mat and Thom learn that another Great Hunt is proclaimed in Illian. The last Great Hunt was four hundred years ago.
- TEotW,Ch52 - Moiraine, Loial and the others find the Horn of Valere with the Eye of the World.
- TEotW,Ch53 - Moiraine shows Lord Agelmar the Horn of Valere and asks for an escort to take it to Illian.
- TGH,Ch4 - The Amyrlin has the Horn.
- TGH,Ch5 - Lord Agelmar gave her the Horn as soon as she arrived. He could not wait to be rid of it because the temptation was too great.
- TGH,Ch6 - Padan Fain and a party of Darkfriends, Trollocs and a Fade steal the Horn.
- TGH,Ch7 - Lord Agelmar will send a force to recover the Horn.
- TGH,Ch8 - Siuan, Moiraine and Verin convince Rand, Mat and Perrin to go along to find the Horn and the ruby dagger.
- TGH,Ch9 - Rand, Mat, Perrin, Loial and a group of Shienarans led by Ingtar head out to find the Horn of Valere and the ruby dagger.
- TGH,Ch11 - Fain cannot open the chest containing the Horn.
- TGH,Ch12 - Anaiya believes that if Ingtar has not yet recovered the Horn it is now in the Blight.
- TGH,Ch14 - When Hurin disappears, Ingtar is upset because he can no longer track the Horn.
- TGH,Ch15 - Ba'alzamon knows that Rand is after the Horn of Valere.
- TGH,Ch16 - Hurin mentions the Horn in front of Selene who urges Rand to keep it for his own glory.
- TGH,Ch19 - Rand and Loial steal back the Horn and the ruby dagger from Fain and the Darkfriends.
- TGH,Ch20 - The Karaethon Cycle does not mention the Horn of Valere.
- TGH,Ch21 - There are already Hunters of the Horn as far north as Cairhien.
- TGH,Ch22 - Vandene tells Moiraine there is a rumor in the village that the Horn has been found, but she discounts it. Moiraine asks her about the Horn and the Dragon Reborn. Vandene replies that there is no direct link, only that the Horn must be found before Tarmon Gai'don.
- TGH,Ch26 - Rand tells Thom that they have the Horn.
- TGH,Ch28 - Ingtar is still tracking the Horn, now with Perrin's help.
- TGH,Ch30 - Darkfriends steal back the Horn and the ruby dagger.
- TGH,Ch31 - Hurin traces the Darkfriends to Barthanes Damodred's manor.
- TGH,Ch32 - Rand tells Thom that the Horn of Valere was stolen and brought to Barthanes Damodred's manor.
- TGH,Ch33 - Hurin traces the Darkfriends to a Waygate in Barthanes' back yard. Machin Shin blocks the entrance so they cannot follow.
- TGH,Ch34 - Fain brings the Horn to High Lord Turak. He can open the chest and confiscates the Horn.
- TGH,Ch41 - Rand and his party wonder why Fain would take the Horn to Falme.
- TGH,Ch44 - Ingtar leads Rand, Mat, Perrin and Hurin into Falme to retrieve the Horn of Valere.
- TGH,Ch45 - Ingtar, Rand, Mat, Perrin and Hurin find the Horn of Valere and the ruby dagger in High Lord Turak's house.
- TGH,Ch46 - Ingtar wanted the Horn so badly so that he could return to the Light.
- TGH,Ch47 - Mat blows the Horn and calls forth the Heroes of the Horn at Falme. They are led by Artur Hawkwing and include Birgitte, Gaidal Cain, Rogosh Eagle-eye, Mikel of the Pure Heart (Michael), Otarin (Oscar) and Paedrig the peacemaker (Patrick).
- TGH,Ch49 - Verin leaves with Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve and Hurin to take Mat, the Horn of Valere and the ruby dagger to Tar Valon.
- TDR,Ch11 - The Horn is taken to the White Tower.
- TDR,Ch12 - Verin presents the Horn to Siuan. Siuan says she will hide it where only the two of them know.
- TDR,Ch19 - On waking, Mat remembers blowing the Horn of Valere.
- TDR,Ch20 - Siuan tells Mat that he is now linked to the Horn. It is just a horn to anyone else until his death.
- TDR,Ch33 - Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial encounter Hunters of the Horn, Lord Orban and Lord Gann, in Remen.
- TDR,Ch35 - Faile is also a Hunter of the Horn. She believes it is in the Mountains of Mist. Orban and Gann believe it is in the Forest of Shadows.
- TDR,Ch44 - Moiraine reveals to Faile that not only has the Horn of Valere been found, but also that Mat blew it.
- TDR,Ch56 - Rhuarc learns that Mat sounded the Horn.
- TSR,Ch13 - The Shadow has somehow discovered that Mat sounded the Horn.
- TSR,Ch26 - When Mat is hanged does this sever his link to the Horn?
- TSR,Ch52 - Between lives, the Heroes of the Horn live in Tel'aran'rhiod. When they are called by the Horn, they are not there in the flesh so the One Power does not affect them.
- TFoH,Prologue - Fain wants to retrieve the Horn of Valere as well as the ruby dagger.
- TFoH,Ch19 - Fain still wants the Horn, but he does not have time to get it before he has to leave the White Tower.
- TFoH,Ch36 - Valan Luca was in Illian when the Hunters of the Horn took the oath in the Great Square of Tammaz.
- TFoH,Ch49 - Areina claims to be a Hunter of the Horn.
- TFoH,Ch54 - When Mat dies and is brought back by balefire does this sever his link to the Horn?
- LoC,Ch5 - Mat worries about his link to the Horn of Valere.
- KoD,Ch8 � Mat almost chokes when Tuon wonders aloud if the Dragon Reborn was the one who blew the Horn of Valere at Falme.
- KoD,Ch12 � When they encounter Hunters of the Horn, Perrin recalls that Moiraine had the Horn of Valere taken to the White Tower. The Seanchan consider them troublemakers.
- TGS,Ch35 � His return to Falme brings Rand memories of following Fain, the ruby dagger and the Horn of Valere.
- TGS,Ch39 � Egwene thinks Verin�s book on the Black Ajah is as great a treasure as the Horn of Valere.
- TGS,Ch44 � Nynaeve feels sorry for the way Rand treats Hurin. Hurin idolizes Rand after the months they spent chasing Fain and the Horn of Valere.