Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
The Wheel of Time
"Time is a wheel with seven spokes, each spoke an Age. As the Wheel turns, the Ages come and go, each leaving memories that fade to legend, then to myth, and are forgotten by the time that Age comes again. The Pattern of an Age is slightly different each time an Age comes, and each time it is subject to greater change." (TEotW,Glossary)
A spoke in the Wheel of Time.
Pattern of an Age
"The Wheel of Time weaves the threads of human lives into the Pattern of an Age, often called simply the Pattern, which forms the substance of reality for that Age." (TEotW,Glossary)
Moiraine says that the Creator is good, the Dark One is evil, but the Pattern is neither. (TDR,Ch33)
Min�s viewings read a part of the Pattern, but if the Pattern itself is destroyed by the Dark One then her viewings are moot. (TGS,Ch44)
Web of Destiny
A great change in the Pattern of an Age, centered around one or more people who are ta'veren. In the Old Tongue, it is called "Ta'maral'ailen."
"A person around whom the Wheel of Time weaves all surrounding life-threads, perhaps ALL life-threads, to form a Web of Destiny." (TEotW,Glossary)
- Glimmers Q&A - One becomes ta'veren according to the needs of the Wheel. No one is born ta'veren. Rand, Mat and Perrin became ta'veren just before Moiraine appeared.
- TGH,Ch22 - Lan believes he helped Rand in Fal Dara because of his ta'veren effect.
- TGH,Ch36 - Alar, the Eldest Elder of Stedding Tsofu, can sense ta'veren.
- TDR,Ch8 - Rand causes chaos in the village of Jarra setting off a string of marriages and a revolt among the Whitecloaks.
- TDR,Ch25 - Anaiya tells Egwene that dreams about ta'veren are almost always significant. The stronger the ta'veren the surer the significance.
- TDR,Ch33 - Moiraine easily tracks Rand through a string of villages because of the ta'veren upsets that he causes.
- TSR,Ch3 - The weakening of the Dark One's prison allows bubbles of evil to escape. They are attracted to ta'veren.
- TSR,Ch4 - Mat and Perrin both want to leave Tear but cannot because of Rand's ta'veren pull.
- TSR,Ch13 - Mat wants to go to the Two Rivers with Perrin but Rand's ta'veren pull prevents him from leaving.
- TSR,Ch15 - Moiraine tells Mat and Rand that two ta'veren in the twisted red doorway at the same time could strain it so much that the connection is broken and they are trapped.
- TSR,Ch18 - Perrin can feel Rand pulling at him as he leaves Tear.
- TSR,Ch28 - In the wolf dream, Birgitte approaches Perrin and talks to him because he is ta'veren.
- TSR,Ch31 - Verin and Alanna claim to be in the Two Rivers searching for more talent because the area already produced three channelers and three ta'veren.
- TSR,Ch33 - Verin cites Perrin's sudden leadership as ta'veren in action.
- TFoH,Ch3 - Mabriam en Shereed was ta'veren.
- TFoH,Ch30 - Rand's ta'veren effect causes Bael and Jheran to mend the four hundred year old blood feud between Shaarad and Goshien. It causes and constant stream of smaller events as well.
- LoC,Prologue - Rand's ta'veren forces Perrin to leave the Two Rivers and come to him.
- LoC,Ch18 - Rand tries to use his ta'veren effect on Egwene to make her tell him where the rebel Aes Sedai are. It almost works.
- LoC,Ch27 - Rand's ta'veren effect causes Galina to reveal that she knows Alviarin.
- LoC,Ch30 - Logain has the Talent of seeing ta'veren.
- LoC,Ch38 - Nicola sees a glow around Mat indicating that she has the Talent of seeing ta'veren.
- ACoS,Ch4 - Loial says he wants to marry Erith. He then looks shocked and accuses Perrin of doing a ta'veren job on him.
- ACoS,Ch13 - Elayne and Nynaeve agree to ask Mat for help in finding the Bowl of the Winds because he is ta'veren.
- ACoS,Ch34 - Rand's ta'veren effect causes the Sea Folk Wavemistress to divulge much more information than she should.
- ACoS,Ch35 - Rand's ta'veren effect causes Min and he to arrive at the rebel camp just where Caraline and Darlin are riding. It then causes both of them to talk freely to Rand.
- ACoS,Ch39 - Mat's ta'veren effect causes the Sea Folk Windfinders to agree to go with Elayne and Nynaeve wherever they choose.
- CoT,Ch23 � Verin and Nesune get along well despite being on opposite sides of the White Tower rebellion. Cadsuane wonders if this is due to Rand and his ta'veren effect. None of her ter'angreal hair ornaments detects ta'veren.
- CoT,Ch29 - Mat begins to accept that his ta'veren nature and the Pattern will do with him what they want.
- KoD,Ch3 - Ta'veren can be tracked and located by their effect on the Pattern. Ishamael and Lanfear were good at it, but it is more difficult for the other Forsaken, especially now that the Pattern is in flux.
- KoD,Ch21 - Rand's ta'veren effect causes improbable happenings when he visits Tear.
- KoD,Ch21 - Thom tells Tuon that Talmanes found them because Mat is ta'veren but she thinks it is a myth.
- TGS,Ch29 � As he rides into Bandar Eban, Rand�s ta'veren effect now causes only bad events.
- TGS,Ch35 � Rand�s ta'veren effect is not strong enough to overcome Tuon�s strength of will.
- TGS,Ch36 - Mat's ta'veren pull is so strong that it drags Verin off her planned trip to Tar Valon and leaves her in the village of Trustair.
- ToM,Ch3 - Rand's ta'veren nature has become so strong that the Aes Sedai with Egwene cannot even speak.
- ToM,Ch7 - Perrin thinks his ta'veren nature has drawn him and the Whitecloaks together.
- ToM,Ch47 - When Elayne begins dickering with Perrin and Faile, Morgase warns her how strongly ta'veren he is.