Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
Maidens of the Spear
Pronunciation: FAHR DAH-rize MY
The Maidens have developed a language of their own which uses only their hands, a sign language. No one outside of the Maidens is supposed to know it, however, Faile has been taught some by Bain and Chiad. Per Robert Jordan, handtalk consists of finger spelling along with gestures that signify words and even complete phrases.
- TEotW,Ch25 - Female Aiel warriors are called Maidens of the Spear, Far Dareis Mai in the Old Tongue.
- TDR,Ch38 - Aviendha, Bain, Chiad, Jolien and Dailin are Maidens of the Spear.
- TSR,Ch22 - When Rand and the Aiel leave Tear, Rhuarc orders six of the Aiel societies, Red Shields, Brothers of the Eagle, Water Seekers, Maidens of the Spear, Black Eyes and Thunder Walkers, to spread out to look for the Portal Stone.
- TSR,Ch23 - Maidens and Stone Dogs are especially touchy about ji'e'toh.
- TSR,Ch25 - Morin becomes the first Maiden of the Spear when she gives up the Way of the Leaf to help rescue her daughter, Kirin.
- TSR,Ch36 - As the Aiel leave Chaendaer, Maidens scout ahead while Stone Dogs guard the rear.
- TSR,Ch57 � Maidens of the Spear accompany Rand for his honor. He has no Society, but he was born of a Maiden so they ask for the job.
- TFoH,Ch21 � When men are taken gai'shain by Maidens they teach the man to sing to entertain them. When a man behaves foolishly toward a Maiden they taunt him saying they will teach him to sing.
- TFoH,Ch54 - Members of every society including Maidens of the Spear accompany Rand to Caemlyn.
- LoC,Ch21 - Speaking to gai'shain as a Maiden, e.g., using handtalk, is a serious insult and incurs great toh.
- LoC,Ch28 - Only Stone Dogs and Black Eyes are as touchy about ji'e'toh as the Maidens.
- TPoD,Ch11 - Putting prisoners to the question is usually done by Maidens or Black Eyes.
- TGS,Ch3 � Maidens and True Bloods scout Domani refugees near Rand�s headquarters in Arad Doman.