Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
The Kin is an organization of women who can channel. Most were put out of the White Tower for one reason or another, usually for failing one of the many required tests. Others are runaways. Women who are wilders are not admitted. They also do not allow marriage. Their rank is established by age. The thirteen oldest Kin in Ebou Dar, known as the Eldest and the Elders, comprise the Knitting Circle or just Circle.
The Kin believe their existence to be unknown to the Aes Sedai. In reality, the Aes Sedai know of their existence and actually depend on the Kin to help catch and return runaways.
The Kin maintain a farm several miles northeast of Ebou Dar. Ostensibly a retreat for women, it serves as a cover for Kin coming and going from Ebou Dar. The hard work of the farm also makes excellent penance under the severe discipline system of the Kin.
Wise Women are residents of Ebou Dar who practice healing, herbs and cures. They wear a distinguishing red belt. Most are, in fact, members of the Kin who Heal using the One Power.
- LoC,Ch13 - Elayne knows of Ebou Dari Wise Women. They are reputed to have more knowledge of herbs and healing than anyone.
- ACoS,Ch23 - The Kin do not accept wilders.
- ACoS,Ch31 - Teaching each other new weaves is not allowed.
- ACoS,Ch31 - They currently number 1783.
- TPoD,Ch3 - The Kin do not take in wilders.
- TPoD,Ch3 - The title of Eldest goes to the oldest of the Kin in Ebou Dar. There are usually older members elsewhere.
- TPoD,Ch4 - The Kin do not allow marriage.
- TPoD,Ch28 - The Kin accept White Tower runaways. However, they hold them apart until they are sure that they are no longer being hunted.
- TPoD,Ch28 - The Kin in Elayne's party become increasingly restive and disillusioned with Aes Sedai, nearly to the point of rebellion.
- WH,Ch8 - Nynaeve has her hands more than full trying to keep the Kin under control. The more rebellious ones are being sent on rescue missions to Seanchan held territory.
- WH,Ch8 - Elayne and Nynaeve believe there are no Darkfriends among the Kin, else Ispan would have known much more about them.
- CoT,Ch11 � The Windfinders and the Kin are seriously agitated by the powerful channeling.
- CoT,Ch14 � From their spies, the Red Ajah and the Brown Ajah must now know about the Kin.
- CoT,Ch18 � Egwene intends to ally the Kin with the Aes Sedai. Aes Sedai will be allowed to forswear the Oath Rod and retire into the Kin.
- KoD,Ch31 � Alise and Sumeko argue. Sumeko says she is now Eldest, but Alise says there is no more Knitting Circle because they are no longer in Ebou Dar.
- ToM,Ch17 - Elayne reaches an agreement with the Kin for some of them who chose not to go to Tar Valon and join the White Tower to remain in Caemlyn. They will provide Traveling for a fee and Healing for free.