Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
The Children of the Light, disparagingly called Whitecloaks, are an organization of zealous foes of the Dark and defenders of the Light. They were organized during War of the Hundred Years by Lothair Mantelar to combat the increasing number of Darkfriends. Their symbol is a golden sunburst on a field of white.
Their headquarters is the Fortress of the Light in the city of Amador in Amadicia. In truth they rule the country of Amadicia.
They believe that any use of the One Power is the work of the Dark One and thus all Aes Sedai are Darkfriends.
The philosophy/theology of the Children is a curious blend of retribution and redemption. While they believe that "no man is so lost that he cannot be brought to the Light," the penalty for being a Darkfriend is death. They also say that, "The sins of the mother are visited to the fifth generation and the sins father to the tenth."
- NS,Ch10 � At one point during her test for the shawl in the oval ring, Moiraine fights off Whitecloaks.
- TEotW,Ch3 - First mention of the Children of the Light. People are afraid to talk about the Shadow because of them.
- TEotW,Ch13 � Children of the Light are disparagingly called Whitecloaks. They hate Aes Sedai as much as they hate Darkfriends.
- TEotW,Ch13 � Amador is the stronghold of the Children of the Light.
- TEotW,Ch13 � Children of the Light are disparagingly called Whitecloaks.
- TEotW,Ch14 - They stay near Baerlon because they hear a rumor that there is an Aes Sedai in the town.
- TEotW,Ch15 - Rand challenges the Whitecloaks angering them.
- TEotW,Ch16 � Whitecloak Questioners assume one is guilty from the start. They use torture to extract confessions.
- TEotW,Ch17 - Moiraine discloses her identity to the Whitecloaks really angering them.
- TEotW,Ch30 - A band of Whitecloaks on their way to Caemlyn capture Perrin and Egwene.
- TEotW,Ch30 � A tenet of the Children of the Light says that "no man is so lost that he cannot be brought to the Light." At the same time the penalty for being a Darkfriend is death.
- TEotW,Ch38 - Moiraine, Lan and Nynaeve rescue Perrin and Egwene from the Whitecloaks.
- TEotW,Ch41 - Whitecloaks visit The Queen's Blessing looking for a boy from the Two Rivers.
- TGH,Ch4 - A party of Whitecloaks led by Eamon Valda follow Elayne from Caemlyn to Tar Valon and remain camped nearby.
- TGH,Ch5 - Pedron Niall recalls Geofram Bornhald from Caemlyn and sends him with a legion to Almoth Plain where Jaichim Carridin is in charge.
- TGH,Ch9 � There are quite a few Whitecloaks in Illian.
- TGH,Ch24 - The Whitecloaks that followed Elayne to Tar Valon are still camped by Dragonmount.
- TGH,Ch29 - Many of Geofram Bornhald's troops have been conscripted by the Questioners to destroy villages in Almoth Plain.
- TGH,Ch29 � A Whitecloak saying, "The sins of the mother are visited to the fifth generation and the sins father to the tenth."
- TGH,Ch29 - Geofram Bornhald leads a legion of Whitecloaks onto Toman Head.
- TGH,Ch44 - A band of Whitecloaks spot Perrin in a village.
- TGH,Ch46 - Geofram Bornhald sees lightning over Falme and leads the Whitecloaks into battle.
- TGH,Ch47 - The Whitecloaks battle the Seanchan as Rand battles Ba'alzamon over Falme.
- TGH,Ch48 - Jaret Byar sees the legion of Whitecloaks wiped out.
- TDR,Prologue - Pedron Niall wants to recreate Almoth as a Whitecloak empire and then use it to spread the influence of the Whitecloaks.
- TDR,Ch3 - Leya reports to Moiraine that there are five thousand Whitecloaks on Almoth Plain and that they are clearing out the Taraboners and Domani.
- TDR,Ch8 - Whitecloaks in Ghealdan are looking for a Darkfriend named Perrin Aybara who has yellow eyes.
- TDR,Ch10 - Two dozen Whitecloaks confront Verin and the girls as they approach Tar Valon. Egwene channels, scaring them off.
- TDR,Ch11 - The Tar Valon bridge guard reports to Verin that the Whitecloaks tried to take over Eldone Market and other small, outlying villages.
- TDR,Ch25 - Egwene dreams of Whitecloaks binding her father's hands.
- TDR,Ch33 - Lord Orban tells Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial that there are Whitecloaks in the vicinity of Remen.
- TDR,Ch34 - Perrin and Gaul kill a band of Whitecloaks that attack them in Remen.
- TDR,Ch37 - Egwene dreams of Whitecloaks ravaging the Two Rivers.
- TDR,Ch48 - Egwene dreams of Whitecloaks putting Master Luhhan in a huge, toothed trap as bait.
- TSR,Ch1 - Half a legion of Whitecloaks led by Dain Bornhald arrive at the Two Rivers and meet Ordeith.
- TSR,Ch13 - Mat and Perrin independently hear a rumor that there are Whitecloaks in the Two Rivers hunting the Dragon Reborn and a yellow-eyed Darkfriend. Perrin tells Rand about it.
- TSR,Ch15 - Mat asks Rand if he will do anything about the Whitecloaks. He replies that he does what he has to do. Perrin will take care of them.
- TSR,Ch16 - Perrin dreams of Faile and himself being killed by Whitecloaks.
- TSR,Ch17 - Galad becomes interested in the philosophy of the Children of the Light.
- TSR,Ch29 - Perrin learns that Padan Fain is with the Whitecloaks and that they have taken Luhhans and Mat's family prisoners.
- TSR,Ch30 - Perrin decides to try to fight the Whitecloaks instead of giving himself up.
- TSR,Ch31 - The Whitecloaks have lost a number of men to Trollocs, usually when Ordeith is around.
- TSR,Ch32 - Perrin and others are going to scout the Whitecloak encampment at Watch Hill.
- TSR,Ch33 - Perrin and his band rescue the prisoners from the Whitecloak camp.
- TSR,Ch38 - Jaichim Carridin agrees to have his Whitecloaks take the Panarch's Palace for King Andric in exchange for certain assurances.
- TSR,Ch42 - Slayer tells Perrin that he brought the Trollocs to kill Fain and to keep the Whitecloaks off balance.
- TSR,Ch43 - Luc goads some of the Emond's Field folk into antagonizing the Whitecloaks.
- TSR,Ch45 - The Whitecloaks arrive at Emond's Field and try to arrest Perrin. The town allows them to stay on the condition that they leave everyone alone.
- TSR,Ch46 - Thom tells Elayne and Nynaeve that Whitecloaks have surrounded the Panarch's Palace.
- TSR,Ch51 - Nynaeve can hardly believe that the Black Ajah is in the Panarch's Palace because it is held by the Whitecloaks.
- TSR,Ch53 - Whitecloak scouts bring in a dying man from Deven Ride.
- TSR,Ch54 - Jaichim Carridin and the Whitecloaks question Bayle Domon before they let him, Elayne, Nynaeve and Egeanin into the Panarch's Palace.
- TSR,Ch55 - Rioters keep the Whitecloaks busy as Elayne, Nynaeve and Egeanin leave the Panarch's Palace.
- TSR,Ch56 - After the Whitecloaks refuse to help Emond's Field, Perrin orders them to leave the Two Rivers.
- TFoH,Prologue - Gawyn and his Younglings skirmish with Whitecloaks on both sides of the River Erinin.
- TFoH,Ch8 - A band of Whitecloaks confront Nynaeve, Elayne, Thom and Juilin and question them as they near the border between Tarabon and Amadicia.
- TFoH,Ch9 - Thom learns that Pedron Niall is recalling a large number of Whitecloaks to Amador.
- TFoH,Ch11 - Siuan notes that there are numerous Whitecloaks in Lugard.
- TFoH,Ch12 - Gareth Bryne and his men see the Whitecloaks in Lugard heading west and wonder what Pedron Niall is up to.
- TFoH,Ch13 - When Nynaeve, Elayne, Thom and Juilin arrive in Sienda they note that there are lots of Whitecloaks there.
- TFoH,Ch16 - Elayne and Nynaeve learn that Galad is now a Whitecloak.
- TFoH,Ch25 - In Elaida's study, Egwene finds a report that Pedron Niall is recalling Whitecloaks to Amadicia.
- TFoH,Ch28 - There are rumors in Altara that the Whitecloaks mean to claim the east bank of the River Eldar.
- TFoH,Ch33 - There are lots Whitecloaks camped south of the River Eldar and many in Samara where the Prophet is.
- TFoH,Ch39 - Whitecloaks guard the gates of Samara.
- TFoH,Ch47 - Whitecloaks led by Galad fight with the Prophet's men over the Riverserpent.
- TFoH,Ch51 - There were a hundred Whitecloaks in Cairhien when Rand took the city. They left immediately.
- LoC,Prologue - When Eamon Valda and most of the Whitecloaks leave Tar Valon, Gawyn wonders what Pedron Niall is up to.
- LoC,Prologue - Pedron Niall offers to send five thousand Whitecloaks to help Morgase retake Caemlyn.
- LoC,Ch10 - The Two Rivers girls tell Rand about Perrin, Faile, Padan Fain, the Whitecloaks and the Trollocs.
- LoC,Ch26 - Several of Padan Fain's Whitecloaks attempt to assassinate Rand in Caemlyn. He assumes they are working for Pedron Niall.
- LoC,Ch28 - Fain still has a few of his renegade Whitecloaks. He used some of them in an attack on Rand to test his defenses.
- LoC,Ch29 - Thom and Juilin report that Niall is still consolidating the Whitecloaks in Amador except for a force along the Tarabon border.
- LoC,Ch48 - Tylin tells Elayne and Nynaeve that Carridin and the Whitecloak embassy have been in Ebou Dar for some time. Her position is too weak to take any action against them.
- ACoS,Prologue - Elaida has heard rumors that Morgase is with the Whitecloaks but she believes that Morgase is dead.
- ACoS,Prologue - Eamon Valda and Rhadam Asunawa orchestrate the assassination of the Whitecloak Lord Captain Commander Pedron Niall.
- ACoS,Ch15 - Pedron Niall ordered Jaichim Carridin to cause turmoil in Altara and Murandy so the Whitecloaks could come in and save the day.
- ACoS,Ch21 - Mat told Queen Tylin that Jaichim Carridin is a Darkfriend, yet he is welcomed at the Tarasin Palace. Thom explains that the Whitecloaks would overrun the city if Carridin were arrested.
- ACoS,Ch26 - Valda, Asunawa and a thousand Whitecloaks leave Amador to deal with the Prophet the day before Amador is overrun by the Seanchan.
- WH,Ch1 - The Seanchan defeat King Ailron and the army of Amadicia at the town of Jeramel, but Eamon Valda and most of Whitecloaks escape and head east.
- WH,Ch6 - Perrin learns that are five to ten thousand soldiers to the south. They must be either Whitecloaks or the Seanchan.
- CoT,Prologue � Eamon Valda and his army of Whitecloaks are still in northern Amadicia.
- CoT,Ch5 � Perrin and Balwer discuss whether Masema's riders are meeting with the Seanchan or the Whitecloaks.
- KoD,Prologue � The Whitecloaks split over Galad's duel with Valda. Some follow Galad to fight the Seanchan and Tarmon Gai'don even if it means allying with the Aes Sedai. The others side with Asunawa allied with the Seanchan. The majority, seven thousand, follow Galad.
- KoD,Prologue � High Lady Suroth pulls forces from the effort to track the Whitecloak deserters to deal with Ituralde in Tarabon.
- KoD,Ch26 � Galad and his seven thousand Whitecloaks are fifty miles from the Seanchan camp in Altara. They are heading north.
- TGS,Ch31 � In a vision of Perrin, Rand is surprised to see him with Galad, now a Whitecloak.
- TGS,Ch47 � Tam tells Rand that Perrin has been doing a fine job balancing the Seanchan, the Prophet, the Whitecloaks and Queen Morgase.
- ToM,Prologue - Asunawa and the Whitecloaks loyal to him set a trap for Galad and his followers. Galad is imprisoned.
- ToM,Ch2 - The Lords Captain rebel against Asunawa and execute him. The Whitecloaks are united under Galad.
- ToM,Ch4 - The Whitecloaks capture Basel Gill and his party and learn the Perrin is nearby.
- ToM,Ch34 - The Whitecloaks put Perrin on trial with Morgase as judge. She finds him guilty and gives his punishment to Galad.
- ToM,Ch41 - Perrin and his army rescue Galad and the Whitecloaks from an army of Shadowspawn.
- ToM,Ch53 - Galad and the Whitecloaks accompany Perrin to the Field of Merrilor to prepare for the Last Battle.