Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne are in Nynaeve's room. They are tired from a short, restless night and sore from their visits to Sheriam. Elayne continues to study Verin's list of the Black Ajah and stolen ter'angreal. Egwene had numerous dreams that she thinks may have meaning:
- She had dreamed of the Seanchan, too, of women in dresses with lightning bolts woven on their breasts, collaring a long line of women who wore Great Serpent rings, forcing them to call lightning against the White Tower.
- And the dream about Whitecloaks binding her father's hands.
- Rand, reaching for a sword that seemed to be made of crystal, never seeing the fine net dropping over him.
- And one of him kneeling in a chamber where a parched wind blew dust across the floor, and creatures like the one on the Dragon Banner, but much smaller, floated on that wind, and settled into his skin.
- Him walking down into a great hole in a black mountain, a hole filled with a reddish glare as from vast fires below.
- Him confronting Seanchan.
- Perrin with a falcon on his shoulder, and Perrin with a hawk. Only the hawk held a leash in her talons - Egwene was somehow convinced both hawk and falcon were female - and the hawk was trying to fasten it around Perrin's neck.
- Perrin - with a beard! - leading a huge pack of wolves that stretched as far as the eye could see.
- Mat, placing his own left eye on a balance scale.
- Mat, hanging by his neck from a tree limb.
- Mat and Seanchan, too.
- Mat speaking the Old Tongue.
Anaiya told her that dreams about ta'veren are almost always significant, the more strongly ta'veren the more certain the significance. Nynaeve thinks the list is a waste of time, but Elayne analyzes more deeply and concludes that the even distribution of Ajah and nations means that they were selected to be evenly distributed. This there are more of the Black Ajah still in the White Tower. They note some of the characteristics of the Black Ajah members, Amico, Joiya, Rianna, Chesmal and Marillin. The list of stolen ter'angreal helps very little. Thirteen were studied by Corianin Nedeal and/or have something to do with sleep. The use of most is unknown. They include:
- a clear crystal rod, one foot long and one inch in diameter, use unknown, last studied by Corianin Nedeal.
- an alabaster figurine of an unclothed woman one hand tall, use unknown, last studied by Corianin Nedeal.
- an iron disc three inches in diameter with spirals engraved on both sides, use unknown, last studied by Corianin Nedeal.
- a wooden carving of a hedgehog the size of a man's thumb, channeling into it makes one go to sleep.
- a fluted black rod of stone a pace long, it produces balefire.
- a carved cluster of six spotted dice, channeling into it warps chance.
They discuss whom they can trust, Alanna, Sheriam, Verin, Elaida, and finally conclude that they can trust only themselves. They argue about using the twisted ring but finally agree that Egwene should try it that night. Egwene suddenly notes that Else Grinwell is standing in the doorway listening and looking at the twisted ring. She tells them that Siuan sent her with a message - directions to the basement location where all the belongings of Liandrin and the others were collected. She quickly leaves and Egwene runs after her. Turning a corner, Egwene is confronted by a regal woman in white and silver. The woman tells her to leave and the command is so strong that she automatically obeys. When she turns after a few steps the woman is gone. Egwene searches the gallery but only sees two Accepted, one is Faolain.
More Egwene POV
Notes (Possible Spoilers)#
[#1] Possibly TGS,Ch40
[#2] The Whitecloak invasion of the Two Rivers in The Shadow Rising.
[#3] Be'lal's trap for Rand when he takes Callandor. (TDR,Ch55)
[#4] Rand visiting Rhuidean and receiving the dragon marks. (TSR,Ch25, TSR,Ch34)
[#5] Notably TPoD,Ch24
[#6] Faile and Berelain.
[#7] See the events at the end of Towers of Midnight.
[#8] Mat's 'gifts' from the Eelfinn. (TSR,Ch15)
[#9] Mat, Tuon and the Seanchan in Winters Heart, Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams.
[#10] Amico's age was originally given as only four years older than Egwene and Elayne. Now she is about fifteen years older, consistent with the loss of the ageless look in TSR,Ch5.
[#11] Siuan sent no such message. (TDR,Ch29)
More Category Chapters, Lanfear Chapter Icon