Six gholam, three each appearing male and female, were created during the Shadow War by Aginor as Aes Sedai assassins. They look like ordinary people but they are immensely strong and have no bones. They are immune to the One Power and can detect a channeler at fifty paces. One at least survived to the present in a stasis box. Gholam live on fresh blood. Gholam feel the One Power and even the True Power as an itch somewhat like Myrddraal do. They can detect the usage of the One Power over enormous distance - several miles. Gholam can survive Traveling.(AMoL,Ch1)
For...creative...ideas on how one might deal with gholam see the FAQ, Section 1.6.2.
Points of View#
See Gholam's chapter points of view.
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In Lord of Chaos
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Ch15 - Sammael tells Jaichim Carridin that he will send ... someone ... to help him against Aes Sedai.
- ACoS,Ch38 - When Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve and the Kin arrive at the six story building to retrieve the Bowl of the Winds they are attacked by a gholam. It kills six of Mat's men and two of the Kin. Mat's foxhead medallion burns it severely.
- ACoS,Ch39 - Birgitte tells Mat all about gholam. The one that attacked must have survived in a stasis box.
- In The Path of Daggers
- TPoD,Ch1 - Nynaeve warns Joline and Teslyn Baradon of the coming dangers including the gholam but they do not believe her.
- TPoD,Ch2 - The gholam watches as everyone Travel from the Tarasin Palace to the farm. It can tell where the farm is. It has orders to kill Mat and the girls but chooses to go after the women as they are an easier target.
- TPoD,Ch2 - gholam live on fresh blood. The can feel the One Power and even the True Power as an itch somewhat like Myrddraal do. They can detect the usage of the One Power over enormous distance - several miles.
- In Winter's Heart
- WH,Ch16 - The gholam attacks Mat in an alley. Mat burns it again with the foxhead medallion. Noal Charin arrives and the gholam flees.
- WH,Ch17 - Mat tells his Redarms and Tylin about the gholam, but none of them will leave him.
- WH,Ch18 - There are stories of a man with his throat torn out outside Ebou Dar. Mat knows it must be the gholam.
- WH,Ch28 - There are strange murders nearly every night in Ebou Dar. The Seekers are sent out to find the madman.
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- In The Gathering Storm
- In Towers of Midnight
- In A Memory of Light
More Category Creatures