Map: A map of Shienar is available in The Eye of the World hc p. 578, pb p. 688.
The northeastern most of the Borderlands. It is bordered on the north by the Blight and on the east by the Spine of the World. The Mora River forms the western border between Shienar and Arafel. The sign of Shienar is a stooping black hawk. By tradition, the sigil of the reigning king is also a sign of Shienar.
The nation of Shienar was formed early in the War of the Hundred Years. The governors of Artur Paendrag Tanreall's five northern provinces met and agreed to form stable nations to preserve the peace and defend against the Blight. Merean Tihomar was the first Queen of Shienar.
In Borderlands countries, the shatayan or head housekeeper, and the shambayan or head butler are positions of great power.
Shienar is in the northeast of the Westlands.
Shienar is a monarchy. The reigning king is Easar Togita.
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In the Guide
- TWoTRPG - Information on the history and culture of Shienar.
- In New Spring
- NS,Ch1 - Before the Aiel War Lan has experience fighting the Aiel on the Shienaran marches.
- NS,Ch8 - Aisha Raveneos lectures Moiraine on law in Shienar and Amadicia.
- In The Great Hunt
- TGH,Ch2 - In Borderlands countries, the shatayan or head housekeeper, and the shambayan or head butler are positions of great power.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Prologue - Danelle reports to Elaida and her Council that Shienarans are skirmishing amongst themselves.
- TFoH,Ch25 - Egwene finds a report in Elaida's study that says there are minor rebellions in Shienar and Arafel.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Ch7 - The fighting in Arafel and Shienar seems to be abating.
- LoC,Ch9 - There is fighting in the Borderlands over whether or not Rand is really the Dragon Reborn. It began in Shienar about the time the Stone of Tear fell.
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Ch12 - Coin peppers are popular in Shienar and Malkier.
- In Winter's Heart
- WH,Ch13 - Cadsuane has been gathering loyal sisters since she heard of the unusual events in Shienar.
- WH,Ch9 - A merchant reports to Dyelin Taravin that there are thousands of Arafellin, Kandori and Shienarans in Braem Wood.