aka: Artur Hawkwing, Hammer of the Light
Legendary king who united all the lands west of the Spine of the World. His death set off the Hundred Years War. His sign was a golden hawk in flight. His sword was called Justice. (The Eye of the World,Glossary)
He is tall and hook-nosed with dark, deep-set eyes and a deep voice. (TGH,Ch47)
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
- Artur Paendrag Tanreall is born in FY 912, the son of the King and Queen of Shandalle. (Guide, KoD,Ch10)
- He ascends the throne in FY 937 after a Black Fever plague kills his parents (Guide)
- Artur Hawkwing begins a campaign to conquer the known world. (TEotW,Ch29)
- Hawkwing defeats Culain in battle and takes Aldeshar. (CoT,Ch3)
- He eventually unites all the lands from the Great Blight to the Sea of Storms, from the Aryth Ocean to the Aiel Waste. (TEotW,Ch29)
- Hawkwing lays a twenty year siege on Tar Valon an puts of price of a thousand gold crowns on the head of every Aes Sedai. (TEotW,Ch29)
- Artur Hawkwing sends armies across the Aryth Ocean to unite the lands across the sea. (TEotW,Ch29)
- Near the end of his reign, Artur Hawkwing decides to build a new capital city unaligned with any previous nation. He chooses an abandoned stedding as the site to avoid Aes Sedai influence. He starts with a gigantic statue of himself which takes five years to complete. He dies on the day the statue is finished. (TEotW,Ch29)
- Artur Hawkwing appears leading the Heroes of the Horn. He greets Rand as Lews Therin and says he has often fought both with him and against him. He says the Heroes of the Horn must follow the Dragon Banner. (TGH,Ch47)
- Min sees Artur Hawkwing riding across the sky. (TGH,Ch48)
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In New Spring
- In The Eye of the World
- TEotW,Ch4 - Thom offers to tell stories of Artur Hawkwing.
- TEotW,Ch14 - Ba'alzamon tells Rand that he manipulated Artur Hawkwing.
- TEotW,Ch17 - Thom tells stories of Artur Hawkwing.
- TEotW,Ch29 - Perrin, Egwene and Elyas find the remnants of a giant statue in a stedding. Elyas tells them it was Artur Hawkwing and that he had it built in a stedding to keep Aes Sedai away.
- In The Great Hunt
- TGH,Ch4 - Elaida tells the White Tower that Moiraine is messing with the most dangerous ta'veren since Artur Hawkwing.
- TGH,Ch5 - Moiraine tells Siuan that Elaida is wrong. Rand is even more dangerous than even Hawkwing.
- TGH,Ch7 - The Dark Prophecy states, "The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree." Artur Hawkwing was known as the Hammer of the Light.
- TGH,Ch10 - Ingtar tells Rand they are three or four days north of the field of Talidar where Hawkwing defeated a Trolloc army. There used to be a huge monument there.
- TGH,Ch13 - Rand recalls Ingtar's story about Hawkwing's monument and wonders if it exists in the Portal Stone world.
- TGH,Ch16 - Rand, Loial and Hurin find Hawkwing's monument in the Portal Stone world, but it is a monument to a Trolloc victory.
- TGH,Ch29 - All the stories Geofram Bornhald hears claim the Seanchan are Artur Hawkwing's army returned.
- TGH,Ch34 - Fain tries to ingratiate himself with High Lord Turak by telling him his family has remained loyal to Artur Hawkwing.
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Shadow Rising
- In The Fires of Heaven
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Prologue - Pedron Niall recalls that Guaire Amalasan held more territory than Rand now does when Artur Hawkwing defeated him.
- LoC,Ch26 - Endara Casalain was governor of the province of Andor under Artur Hawkwing. After his death, she abdicated and her daughter, Ishara, became the first queen of Andor.
- In A Crown of Swords
- In The Path of Daggers
- TPoD,Ch22 - The nobles and soldiers with Rand are unhappy that he has only six thousand men. They were hoping for a massive army such as in Artur Hawkwing's day.
- TPoD,Ch23 - Furyk Karede recalls a family story that one of his ancestors was a nobleman who accompanied Luthair Paendrag to Seanchan at Artur Hawkwing's command.
- In Winters Heart
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- CoT,Ch3 - Mat remembers the fall of Aldeshar and Hawkwing's defeat of Culain.
- CoT,Ch3 - Tuon asks Mat if he remembers Hawkwing's face. Mat stammers out a denial.
- CoT,Ch13 - There is a story that Hawkwing once offered to duel with an enemy's champion, but only the foolish believe it.
- CoT,Ch30 - When Egwene complains about Romanda and Lelaine not respecting her, Siuan says that pair would not follow Deane Aryman who saved the White Tower after Bonwhin's disaster with Hawkwing.
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Ch4 - Tylee notes that Berelain is descended from Artur Paendrag Tanreall.
- KoD,Ch17 - The map of Caemlyn on the floor of the Map Room in the Royal Palace predates Artur Hawkwing.
- KoD,Ch26 - Mat denied remembering Hawkwing's face but it was obvious to Tuon that he was lying.
- KoD,Ch35 - The Grand Hall of the Royal Palace has images of the women who built a strong nation out of the rubble of Artur Hawkwing's empire.
- KoD,Ch36 - Part of Lidya's Foretelling for Tuon was, "Beware the man who remembers Hawkwing's face."
- In The Gathering Storm
- In Towers of Midnight
More Category Characters