A great fortress in Tear, said to have been made with the One Power soon after the Breaking of the World. The eastern gate is the Dragonwall Gate. The Stone of Tear is a single piece of stone covering a square mile from the bank of the River Erinin River into the heart of the city. It was built by Aes Sedai at the end of the Breaking. (Glossaries)
by Chi Cheung
by Richard Boyé
Defenders of the Stone#
The military guards of Tear are called the Defenders of the Stone.
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In The Eye of the World
- TEotW,Ch13 - The Karaethon Prophecy says the Stone of Tear will fall when the Dragon Reborn wields the Sword That Cannot Be Touched.
- TEotW,Ch13 - The Stone of Tear was built shortly after the Breaking and in all the time since it has never fallen. None but the High Lords are allowed to enter the Heart of the Stone.
- In The Dragon Reborn
- TDR,Ch4 - Perrin dreams of Callandor floating in the Heart of the Stone.
- TDR,Ch27 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene finds herself in the Heart of the Stone near Callandor and "Silvie" tells her about it.
- TDR,Ch29 - The Stone of Tear holds a cache of *angreal nearly as great as that in the White Tower.
- TDR,Ch29 - The Heart of the Stone is where Lords of the Land of Tear are raised to High Lords. Four times a year they perform the Rite of the Guarding, claiming that they protect the world from the Dragon by holding Callandor.
- TDR,Ch34 - Aiel prophecy says that the Aiel will leave the Three-fold Land when the Stone of Tear falls.
- TDR,Ch49 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene visits the Heart of the Stone and finds the Black Ajah there.
- TDR,Ch50 - Moiraine and Lan plan on entering the Stone of Tear.
- TDR,Ch51 - Juilin tells Nynaeve that the thirteen women she seeks are guests in the Stone of Tear.
- TDR,Ch52 - Mother Guenna tells Mat that the girls were taken to the Stone of Tear.
- TDR,Ch54 - Perrin and Hopper search for Faile in the Stone of Tear in Tel'aran'rhiod. They kill several human guards.
- TDR,Ch54 - Mat, Juilin Sandar, Rand and a band of Aiel all enter the Stone of Tear about the same time.
- In The Shadow Rising
- TSR,Ch2 - All the major characters are staying at the Stone of Tear.
- TSR,Ch6 - The Great Holding, a huge collection of objects of the One Power, is kept in a deep basement of the Stone. This collection is second only to that in the White Tower.
- TSR,Ch17 - Siuan receives word from Moiraine that the Stone of Tear has fallen.
- TSR,Ch18 - Perrin, Loial, Faile, Gaul, Bain and Chiad leave by the Dragonwall Gate.
- TSR,Ch21 - Only High Lords are allowed in the Heart of the Stone and then only four times a year.
- TSR,Ch21 - Rand meets with the High Lords and nobles in the Heart of the Stone. He orders several of the High Lords to go to Cairhien, then plunges Callandor into the stone floor.
- TSR,Ch22 - Rand, Mat, Moiraine, Lan, Egwene and the Aiel head east from the Stone of Tear.
- TSR,Ch35 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene meets with Elayne in the Heart of the Stone.
- TSR,Ch39 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Nynaeve goes to the Heart of the Stone to meet with Egwene, but she is not there.
- TSR,Ch49 - Mat thinks Cold Rocks Hold is a very defensible fortress, but not nearly as good as the Stone of Tear.
- TSR,Ch52 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Nynaeve meets with Egwene, Amys and Bair in the Heart of the Stone.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Ch1 - Gareth Bryne learns that the Stone of Tear has fallen.
- TFoH,Ch14 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Nynaeve meets with Egwene and Melaine in the Heart of the Stone.
- TFoH,Ch24 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Elayne meets with Birgitte, then with Egwene, Amys and Bair in the Heart of the Stone.
- TFoH,Ch49 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Nynaeve and Elayne meet with Egwene and Amys in the Heart of the Stone.
- TFoH,Ch55 - When Rand follows Rahvin's gateway, the world he enters reminds him of his chase in the Stone of Tear.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Prologue - The Forsaken want the angreal stash in the Stone of Tear, but it is effectively warded with traps.
- LoC,Ch6 - Sammael sent the Trollocs to the Stone of Tear. On the Dark One's ordered, Semirhage sent the opposing force.
- LoC,Ch14 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, Egwene has seen Siuan in Caemlyn, the Heart of the Stone and in The White Tower.
- LoC,Ch32 - Egwene, Amys and Bair meet with the Salidar Aes Sedai in Tel'aran'rhiod in the Heart of the Stone. Rand spies on them and learns where Salidar is.
- In A Crown of Swords
- In Winter's Heart
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- CoT,Ch12 - Merchants from Tear report that the city and the Stone of Tear are under siege by nobles who want the Dragon Reborn completely out of the country.
- CoT,Ch18 - Agents of the Salidar Aes Sedai report that Merana Ambrey was spotted near the Stone of Tear negotiating with Estanda and Tedosian.
- CoT,Ch23 - Verin reports to Cadsuane that High Lord Astoril has joined Darlin in the Stone of Tear fighting the rebellion.
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Ch21 - The Stone of Tear covers a square mile or more. It was built at the end of the Breaking. Though is stood for over three thousand years and was never taken, Traveling and Blossoms of Fire now make it obsolete.
- KoD,Ch21 - Defenders of the Stone still stand guard in the Heart of the Stone even though Callandor is no longer there.
- In The Gathering Storm
More Category Geography