aka: Lan, Andra
Possible Spoilers#The Aiel call him Aan'allein which means "a man who is an entire nation" in the Old Tongue.
Uncrowned King of Malkier, a land which was swallowed by the Blight shortly after his birth in 953 NE. He is Dai Shan (DYE SHAN) a Diademed Battle Lord of the Malkieri and the last surviving Malkieri lord. At the age of sixteen he began a one-man war against the Blight and the Shadow which continued until he was bonded as Warder by Moiraine in 979 NE. Warder. His full name is al'Lan Mandragoran and his title is Lord of the Seven Towers. (Lord of Chaos,Glossary)
He is very tall with shoulder length hair held by a leather headband or hadori (NS,Ch1). He is tall with long hair, gray at the temples, held back from his face by a narrow leather band. His face is made from stony planes and angles, weathered but unlined despite the gray in his hair. (TEotW,Ch2) He has blue eyes and is very tall. His long hair is grayer than it used to be. (ACoS,Ch12)
Points of View#
See Lan's chapter points of view.
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
Before the Series#
- Lan is born in 953 NE. (Lord of Chaos,Glossary)
- He is taken to Shienar by Bukama and others when Malkier is swallowed by the Blight in 955 NE. He is raised in the Royal Palace of Fal Moran. (NS,Ch1, NS,Ch16)
- He is deflowered by Edeyn Arrel at age fifteen. A few months later he leaves Fal Moran to begin a one-man war against the Blight at age sixteen. (NS,Ch15, Lord of Chaos,Glossary)
- Lan and Bukama travel all of the eastern lands fighting the Aiel during the Aiel War. (NS,Ch1)
- On orders from Lord Emares, Lan brings his company to pin a legion of Aiel. Rather than fighting the Aiel move away toward the Spine of the World. (NS,Ch1)
- Lan and his company follow the Aiel to Kinslayer's Dagger. He and Bukama spend the next four months touring the south before they return to their battle with the Blight. (NS,Ch12)
- Bukama and Lan arrive in Canluum. (NS,Ch15)
- They make their way to The Blue Rose where they meet Ryne Venamar. After learning about Edeyn and being attacked by six assassins, Lan decides they will go to Chachin. (NS,Ch16)
- The three of them ride north from Canluum. They notice a woman following and trick her into meeting them. Lan throws her in a pond. They agree to escort Alys to Chachin. Later she dumps water on him in revenge. (NS,Ch19)
- They stop for breakfast in Manala and note that Alys asks questions of the villagers. (NS,Ch20)
- They travel on to Chachin dealing with brigands and an assassin on the way. Alys continues to torment Lan every night. (NS,Ch21)
- When they arrive in Chachin, Lan leads them to the Aesdaishar Palace. Lan is given a spacious apartment. Lan meets with Prince Consort Brys and his son Diryk. Lady Edeyn Arrel swears fealty to him as King of Malkier, then takes him to bed. (NS,Ch22)
- After Moiraine gives him confidential information on Malkier and the Aes Sedai, Lan agrees to have Bukama follow Merean. (NS,Ch25)
- Lan is pushed down a flight of stairs with the One Power then he finds Bukama's body. He goes to Moiraine and they hurry to an isolated balcony. Merean and Ryne are there with Iselle, Brys and Diryk. Lan fights and kills Ryne. Moiraine kills Merean, but not before she kills the other three. (NS,Ch26)
- Early the next morning Lan leaves Chachin. Moiraine catches up to him, tells him everything and bonds him as her Warder. (NS,Epilogue)
Beginning of Series#
- Nineteen years later, Lan and Moiraine enter Emond's Field. (TEotW,Ch2)
- Moiraine and Lan talk briefly with Thom. (TEotW,Ch4)
- Moiraine and Lan lead the defense when Trollocs attack Emond's Field. The next morning Lan accompanies Moiraine when Rand asks her to Heal Tam. (TEotW,Ch7)
- Lan accompanies Moiraine when she Heals Tam. He remarks on Rand's heron-mark sword. (TEotW,Ch8)
- Outside the Winespring Inn, a mob accosts Moiraine and Lan. (TEotW,Ch9)
- Moiraine, Lan, Rand, Perrin and Mat meet in the stable. Egwene and Thom join them and they all head north. (TEotW,Ch10)
Journey to Tar Valon#
- The party rides to Taren Ferry and Lan wakes the ferryman. (TEotW,Ch11)
- Lan and the rest of the party cross the Taren River, camp for an hour, then head north for Baerlon. (TEotW,Ch12)
- Lan and the rest of the party arrive at The Stag and Lion in Baerlon where they are welcomed by Master Fitch. (TEotW,Ch13)
- Lan and the rest have hot baths and a good meal. (TEotW,Ch14)
- Lan is at the inn when Nynaeve arrives. (TEotW,Ch15)
- Lan and the rest of the group meet with Nynaeve. Nynaeve then has a private talk with Moiraine. (TEotW,Ch16)
- Lan and the rest of the group enjoy Thom's stories in the common room. After a Fade confronts Rand, the group flees. At the town gate they are confronted by Whitecloaks before they can escape. (TEotW,Ch17)
- Lan and the rest of the party ride east for three days. They are attacked by Trollocs and take refuge in Shadar Logoth. (TEotW,Ch18)
- When the boys go missing, Lan goes out to hunt for them. He returns with news there are Trollocs nearby so they prepare to flee. (TEotW,Ch19)
- As they ride, Mashadar separates Moiraine and Lan from the rest. (TEotW,Ch20)
- Moiraine and Lan are camped near the Arinelle River. Nynaeve joins them. They all head south after the boys (TEotW,Ch21)
- Nynaeve, Moiraine and Lan arrive in Whitebridge, learn that two of the boys were there and head east. (TEotW,Ch28)
- Nynaeve, Moiraine and Lan head north and find the Whitecloak camp where Egwene and Perrin are imprisoned. Lan sneaks into the camp to free them. (TEotW,Ch37)
- Lan bursts into the tent where Perrin and Egwene are being held, knocks Byar out and rescues the two. Later, Moiraine mentions his heritage. (TEotW,Ch38)
- Moiraine leads Lan and the others to The Queen's Blessing, where Rand and Mat are staying. Moiraine touches Mat and Mat tries to cut her with the Ruby Dagger. Lan stops him. (TEotW,Ch41)
- Lan accompanies Moiraine as she Heals Mat and then when they meet Loial. He leaves to stand guard. (TEotW,Ch42)
- Lan returns and participates in planning the trip through the Ways. (TEotW,Ch43)
Fal Dara and the Blight#
- Loial leads Lan and the others to the Waygate. Moiraine opens it and they begin their journey to Fal Dara. (TEotW,Ch44)
- Loial leads Lan and the others through the Ways. Lan detects someone following them. They reach the Fal Dara Waygate just in time to escape Machin Shin. (TEotW,Ch45)
- Lan and the others ride to Fal Dara. Ingtar takes them to Lord Agelmar. Padan Fain is brought in. (TEotW,Ch46)
- Moiraine and Lan question Fain and learn how evil he is. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Lan and the others ride through the Blight. Lan and Nynaeve have a heart to heart talk. (TEotW,Ch48)
- Lan and the others fight their way through the Blight and reach the Green Man's garden. (TEotW,Ch49)
- The Green Man takes them to the Eye of the World. Aginor and Balthamel arrive and Aginor knocks Lan aside. (TEotW,Ch50)
- Lan, Mat, Perrin and Loial find a seal, the Dragon Banner and the Horn of Valere where the Eye of the World lay. (TEotW,Ch52)
- Lan and the others return to Fal Dara. He continues to teach Rand to use his sword. (TEotW,Ch53)
- Rand and Lan practice swords and see the procession of the Amyrlin] arriving. (TGH,Ch1)
- Lan tells Rand that Moiraine says he can leave any time he wants. (TGH,Ch6)
- Lan summons Rand to an audience with the Amyrlin, but first preps him to act like a Warder. (TGH,Ch7)
- Nynaeve and Lan have another heart to heart talk. He gives her his ring and calls her mashiara. (TGH,Ch8)
- He tells Rand about Sheathing the Sword. (TGH,Ch9)
- Moiraine and Lan leave Fal Dara with the Amyrlin's party. Lan has another heart to heart talk with Nynaeve. Lan accompanies Moiraine when she leaves the party. (TGH,Ch12)
- Moiraine goads Lan into anger questioning his loyalty, then tells him that she has passed his bond to Myrelle. (TGH,Ch22)
- Lan is in Moiraine's cabin when Leya reports. (TDR,Ch2)
- Lan stands by while, Moiraine relates some of Leya's news to Perrin, Min, Loial and Uno. (TDR,Ch3)
- Lan participates in the battle with the Trollocs and fights a Fade. (TDR,Ch5)
- Lan wakes Perrin with news that Rand is gone. He plans with Moiraine. (TDR,Ch6)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial follow Rand out of the Mountains of Mist into Ghealdan. (TDR,Ch7)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial follow Rand to the village of Jarra. (TDR,Ch8)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial follow Rand across Ghealdan. They arrive at Remen and stay at the Wayland's Forge. (TDR,Ch33)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial take rooms at Wayland's Forge. When he observes Perrin's handiwork with the Whitecloaks, he says they must leave immediately. (TDR,Ch34)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial leave in a hurry and board the Snow Goose heading for Illian. (TDR,Ch35)
- Lan tends Mandarb on the deck of the Snow Goose. (TDR,Ch36)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile arrive at Illian. Despite Moiraine's discouragement, Faile insists on joining them. (TDR,Ch41)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile arrive at the Easing the Badger inn. At dinner, six Gray Men attack Perrin. (TDR,Ch42)
- Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile scout the area and find traces of Darkhound. Lan goes to find Moiraine. (TDR,Ch43)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile flee Illian. They are pursued by Darkhounds. Perrin kills one with an arrow and Moiraine balefires the rest. (TDR,Ch44)
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile arrive at Tear. Lan accompanies Moiraine during the day. He notices that Aiel are in the city. (TDR,Ch50)
- Moiraine and Lan learn that Rand is in Tear. After they find the hedgehog trap, they prepare for an assault on the Stone of Tear. (TDR,Ch53)
- Lan is near Moiraine during the battle in the Stone of Tear. (TDR,Ch56)
- Lan accompanies Moiraine when she is summoned to Heal Rand. (TSR,Ch3)
- Lan and Nynaeve spend a lot of time together. (TSR,Ch9)
- Lan is injured in the Shadowspawn attack. (TSR,Ch10)
- Having just learned that she is going to Tanchico, Lan angrily confronts Nynaeve. She orders him to stay with Moiraine. He kisses her, then leaves. (TSR,Ch16)
- Lan is out of the Stone of Tear when Rand meets with the nobles. (TSR,Ch21)
- Rand leads Moiraine, Lan, Mat, Egwene, Rhuarc, Aviendha and the rest of the Aiel to a Portal Stone and channels them to the Aiel Waste. (TSR,Ch22)
- On Chaendaer, Rand and his party are greeted by Wise Ones Amys, Bair, Melaine and Seana. After Rand and Mat leave for Rhuidean, the Wise Ones send Rhuarc and Lan to the Taardad tents. (TSR,Ch23)
- Lan is waiting with the Wise Ones when Rand and Mat return from Rhuidean. (TSR,Ch34)
- Moiraine, Lan and Egwene ride with the Wise Ones on the journey from Chaendaer to Imre Stand. (TSR,Ch36)
- After they camp at Imre Stand, Rand practices swords with Lan, then spears with Rhuarc. (TSR,Ch37)
- On the trip to Cold Rocks Hold, Rand practices swords with Lan and spears with Rhuarc every evening. (TSR,Ch48)
- At Cold Rocks Hold, Moiraine, Lan, Egwene and the other Wise Ones arrive at Lian's house shortly after Rand, Rhuarc and Amys. (TSR,Ch49)
- At Alcair Dal, Amys, Bair, Melaine, Aviendha, Moiraine, Lan and Egwene wait at the edge while Rand, Rhuarc and Mat enter the bowl. (TSR,Ch57)
- When Rand returns from Rhuidean, Amys, Bair, Melaine, Aviendha, Moiraine, Lan and Egwene have joined the clan chiefs on the speaking ledge. (TSR,Ch58)
- Moiraine and Lan watch as Hadnan Kadere and his men load One Power items onto his wagons. (TFoH,Ch2)
- Lan accompanies Moiraine when they check on Rand, then Mat after the Darkhounds attack. (TFoH,Ch6)
- Lan and Moiraine prepare to leave Rhuidean. Lan is concerned that Moiraine seems anxious and distracted. (TFoH,Ch7)
- Lan is guarding Moiraine's tent when Egwene stops by for a visit. (TFoH,Ch15)
- Lan keeps watch as they enter Jangai Pass. (TFoH,Ch20)
- Moiraine and Lan make sure Kadere's wagons are settled when they make camp in Jangai Pass. (TFoH,Ch21)
- Moiraine and Lan come to check on Rand after the Shadowspawn attack. (TFoH,Ch22)
- As they enter Cairhien, Moiraine and Lan ride beside the wagon with the twisted red doorway. (TFoH,Ch23)
- Lan is with Egwene and Moiraine at the base of the observation tower. He then joins Rand and some clan chiefs at the top of the tower. (TFoH,Ch41)
- In Rand's tent, Mat discusses the battle plan with Lan, quickly outlining a detailed plan in a few minutes. Lan is impressed. (TFoH,Ch42)
- Lan presses Rand about wearing his sword and forces him to admit that he intends to kill Couladin. (TFoH,Ch43)
- Lan shouts for Moiraine when Rand faints and falls from his horse. (TFoH,Ch44)
- Moiraine and Lan have a discussion. Lan protests violently at something she says. (TFoH,Ch45)
- Lan rides with Moiraine and Rand to the docks. Lanfear knocks him aside when he charges her. (TFoH,Ch52)
- After Moiraine falls through the twisted red doorway Lan can no longer feel the bond. He tells Rand he must now go to Myrelle who he can feel in the west. He asks Rand to tell Nynaeve to forget him then he rides off. (TFoH,Ch53)
- Following the pull of his bond to Myrelle, Lan arrives at a clearing near the Salidar Aes Sedai camp where Myrelle and Nisao are waiting. (LoC,Ch52)
- He is in a camp near the Salidar Aes Sedai camp with Nisao and Myrelle. Egwene sends him to Ebou Dar to protect Nynaeve. (ACoS,Ch12)
- Lan arrives at the Tarasin Palace and learns that Nynaeve is taking a boat. He arrives at the boat just in time to save her after Moghedien balefires the boat. They go on to meet with the Mistress of the Ships. (ACoS,Ch31)
- Lan and Nynaeve are married by the Mistress of the Ships. They return to the Tarasin Palace with twenty Windfinders. The next morning Lan and Nynaeve join the group going after the Bowl of the Winds. (ACoS,Ch37)
- At the six story building Lan takes part in the fight without serious injury. (ACoS,Ch38)
- When Mat, the Aes Sedai and the Kin meet with the Sea Folk Windfinders, Beslan and Lan are sent away to another part of the palace. (ACoS,Ch39)
- At the Tarasin Palace stableyard, Cieryl, Lan and Birgitte lead the way through Aviendha's gateway to the farm. (TPoD,Ch1)
- Cieryl, Lan and Birgitte scout the area to make sure it is safe while the others follow through the gateway. (TPoD,Ch2)
- Cieryl, Lan and Birgitte scout ahead as they ride from the gateway to the farm. (TPoD,Ch3)
- At the farm, Lan helps round up and calm the panicked Kin. (TPoD,Ch4)
- Lan and Birgitte lead the way as they Travel with Elayne to Andor when the Seanchan (People) attack the farm. (TPoD,Ch6)
- Lan accompanies Nynaeve as they travel across Andor with Elayne toward Caemlyn. (TPoD,Ch20)
- Lan accompanies Nynaeve as they travel with Elayne to the Royal Palace in Caemlyn. He sends a summons to Elayne and Nynaeve when Adeleas and Ispan are found murdered. (TPoD,Ch28)
- Nynaeve and Lan meet Elayne in the Royal Palace and take her to Reanne. (WH,Ch8)
- Nynaeve has a tough lesson with the Windfinders. Lan joins her has she goes back to her rooms where they find Rand waiting. She agrees to help him use the giant statues, but only if she and Lan can go with him now. (WH,Ch11)
- Nynaeve, Lan and Alivia leave the Royal Palace with Rand and Min. Nynaeve takes some of the angreal and ter'angreal from the Ebou Dar stash. (WH,Ch12)
- Nynaeve and Lan pack quickly when Rand tells them of the failed attack by Rochaid and Kisman. (WH,Ch22)
- Lan returns to the inn at the same time Rand does. Rand tells him he is leaving tomorrow. (WH,Ch32)
- Rand, Lan and Nynaeve go to Blue Carp Street. Nynaeve uses her Well to lift Rand and Lan to the roof of the building. They find Gedwyn and Torval dead. Fain and Toram Riatin attack. Lan kills Toram Riatin, but Fain escapes. Rand and Lan fall from the roof. (WH,Ch33)
- Rand and Lan are held prisoner until Cadsuane negotiates their release. (WH,Ch34)
- Nynaeve and Lan accompany Nynaeve, Rand, Cadsuane and the others from Far Madding to Shadar Logoth. Bassane, Nethan and Lan scout the area as soon as they arrive. Afterwards, Cadsuane assures Lan the Nynaeve is just unconscious and that she will recover. (WH,Ch35)
- Nynaeve and Lan accompany Cadsuane and Rand to the Pendaloan estate in eastern Tear to recuperate. (CoT,Ch23)
- Damer, Tomas, Bassane and Nethan watch as Lan gives Jahar a lesson at sword practice. (CoT,Ch23)
- After lunch at Lord Algarin's manor, Nynaeve goes to join Lan. (KoD,Ch18)
- Nynaeve extracts a promise from Lan that he will accept followers and ride straight to Fal Moran if she takes him to the Borderlands. She then takes him to World's End at the west coast of Saldaea. (KoD,Ch20)
- After her test for the shawl, Nynaeve confronts Myrelle and coerces her into passing Lan's bond to her. (ToM,Ch20)
- Lan rides across the Proska Flats in northern Saldaea. He is displeased when Bulen finds him, but he allows Bulen to join him. (ToM,Prologue)
- On the Plain of Lances, Andere, Nazar and Rakim join Lan and Bulen. (ToM,Ch7)
- In eastern Kandor another band finds Lan. They are Malkieri Weilin Aldragoran, Managan and Gorenellin and Shienarans Qi, Joao, Merekel, Ianor and Kuehn. Lan insists that the masquerade as a merchant caravan. (ToM,Ch23)
- Lan's growing army crosses into Arafel at the Silverwall Keeps. Kaisel Noramaga, prince of Kandor, and Kendral, prince of Arafel, and their armies join Lan. (ToM,Ch42)
- Lan's army of twelve thousand face a hundred and fifty thousand Shadowspawn at Tarwin's Gap. (ToM,Epilogue)
- Lan's army of now six thousand prepare for a final charge at the Trollocs. A dozen gateways open and Lan's charge becomes a hundred thousand. Before leaving for the camp, Andere says he wants to see Lan smile. Lan not only smiles, but laughs and tells Jophil to raise the banner high. (AMoL,Ch6)
- Lan inspires his soldiers by telling them that this is what they prepare for and they are ready. Easar recites a bit of a poem from Anasai of Ryddingwood and Lan recognizes it because the author is a favorite of Moiraine. (AMoL,Ch7)
- Lan finds that Bulen has died on his horse. He gets Narishma's help to keep the body cold atop a mountain. Lan praises Bulen in front of everyone else, which spurs the others to tell about other "good deaths". Lan then heads over to Agelmar and along the way, there's an earthquake and deep cracks into nothingness appear then disappear. When he reaches Agelmar, they talk about the battle and its probable outcome. Agelmar knows that they must retreat eventually, because their job is not to win, but just to slow the advance of the Trollocs. Lan does not like this, but eventually sees reason. (AMoL,Ch9)
- Lan, Kaisel, Easar are riding towards the battlefront. Narishma and his Aes Sedai approach them and tell them that Dreadlords, maybe as many as two dozen, are channeling. Lan knows that the Gap is now lost and tells Agelmar to retreat and asks Narishma if the Asha'man can do anything. Lan tells Narishma to go to Elayne and bring back channelers to cover their retreat. (AMoL,Ch10)
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In New Spring
- In The Eye of the World
- In The Great Hunt
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Shadow Rising
- TSR,Ch5 - Nynaeve has started wearing colors that Lan likes.
- TSR,Ch6 - Moiraine assures Nynaeve that she will not marry Lan.
- TSR,Ch12 - When it is agreed that Elayne and Nynaeve will go to Tanchico, Nynaeve says she will consult with Lan on what they will need.
- TSR,Ch20 - Juilin tells Elayne that Rand and Lan sent him.
- TSR,Ch21 - Moiraine is ticked that Lan is missing. She thinks Nynaeve will have him only after she is dead.
- TSR,Ch39 - In Tel'aran'rhiod, the man in Emond's Field who shoots at Nynaeve looks at lot like Lan.
- TSR,Ch55 - After they take the seal to Tar Valon, Nynaeve plans to go back to Lan.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Ch7 - Moiraine thinks to herself that she has arranged for Lan to be with Nynaeve.
- TFoH,Ch9 - Nynaeve thinks about having to share Lan with Moiraine.
- TFoH,Ch14 - Melaine goads Nynaeve about Lan telling her that he will die on the day that he learns she is dead.
- TFoH,Ch33 - Nynaeve is worried that Lan is involved in so much fighting.
- TFoH,Ch47 - Nynaeve is embarrassed by Valan Luca's marriage proposal and tells him that she is engaged to Lan.
- TFoH,Ch48 - Nynaeve keeps Lan's ring with her as she packs to leave.
- TFoH,Ch49 - Rand spends a lot of his time practicing the sword with Lan.
- TFoH,Ch54 - Rand thinks that Lan was right in warning him to stay away from women.
- TFoH,Ch55 - Rand passes Lan's message to forget him to Nynaeve then he tells her to pass the same message from him to Elayne.
- In Lord of Chaos
- In The Path of Daggers
- In Winter's Heart
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Ch7 - Having lost her Warder, Daigian asks if Nynaeve would want to be Healed of her grief if she lost Lan.
- TGS,Ch13 - Sleete is such an accomplished swordsman that he has defeated Lan in duels.
- TGS,Ch22 - While scouting the Blight, Rand remembers that Lan told him that boys become men when they earn their sword.
- TGS,Ch31 - Rand asks Nynaeve if Lan is riding to Tarwin's Gap and she admits that he is. Rand callously says he deserves what he will get.
- TGS,Ch32 - Nynaeve can never go back to the Two Rivers. She is Aes Sedai and she is married to Lan, a king.
- TGS,Ch42 - Rand does not have time to hide any more with Lan and the Malkieri riding to Tarwin's Gap.
- TGS,Ch44 - Nynaeve tries to convince Rand to send support to Lan but he refuses.
- In Towers of Midnight
- In A Memory of Light