A Shienaran warrior, self-proclaimed Prophet of the Dragon.
He has deep-set almost black eyes. (TGH,Ch3) He has shaved his topknot. He has a pale triangular scar on one cheek. (TFoH,Ch39) He is dark and scowling with deep-set eyes. He has a shaven head and a pale triangular scar on one cheek. (TPoD,Ch30) He is average size. (CoT,Ch7)
Points of View#
See Masema's chapter points of view.
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
- Masema is given his sword by his father at age fifteen. (TGS,Prologue)
- Masema fights the Aiel at Ankor Dail for three years. (TGH,Ch10)
- Ragan and Masema tell Rand that all the gates of Fal Dara are closed. Uno passed the order to them. (TGH,Ch3)
- Masema is part of Ingtar's expedition to find the Horn. (TGH,Ch9)
- Masema and Ragan cross the River Erinin River to scout and find the bodies of Changu and Nidao. (TGH,Ch10)
- Ingtar, Uno, Masema and Ragan search the area when Rand disappears. (TGH,Ch14)
- Masema's visions during the Portal Stone passage leave him in tears. (TGH,Ch37)
- Masema scouts ahead as Ingtar's troops move along Toman Head toward Falme. (TGH,Ch41)
- Masema regards Rand with fervent adoration after seeing him battle Ba'alzamon in the sky. (TGH,Ch49)
- Uno, Ragan and Masema are with Perrin when they meet Leya. (TDR,Ch1)
- Back in camp, Uno, Ragan and Masema stare in awe when Rand appears. (TDR,Ch2)
- After the Trolloc attack, Masema babbles that the wolves were some sort of sign. (TDR,Ch5)
- Masema is distraught when Rand leaves. Moiraine sends Uno, Ragan, Masema and the other Shienarans to Jehannah. (TDR,Ch6)
- The woman Moiraine sent the Shienarans to meet in Jehannah is dead, so they are left on their own. (TFoH,Ch38)
- Masema begins proclaiming Rand as the Dragon Reborn. (TDR,Ch34)
- Masema begins calling himself the Prophet and continues preaching. (TSR,Ch17)
- Masema's followers begin fighting with local soldiers. (TSR,Ch47)
- Masema moves his headquarters to Samara in preparation for moving into Amadicia. (TFoH,Ch33)
- Masema meets with Queen Alliandre and takes her jewelry. Uno and Ragan take Nynaeve to see Masema. She tells him that Rand has summoned her to Tear, so he agrees to try to find a riverboat for her. (TFoH,Ch39)
- Masema moves his Dragonsworn south and sets up his headquarters in Abila. (TPoD,Ch10)
- Masema holds a clandestine meeting with a Seanchan (People) woman. (TPoD,Ch30)
- Perrin visits Masema with Neald, Grady, Balwer, Edarra, Carelle, Masuri, Seonid, their three Warder, Aram and Elyas. Masema agrees to accompany them to Rand, but only by regular means of travel. Masema agrees to join Perrin shortly and to bring about a hundred of his men. (TPoD,Ch30, WH,Ch2)
- Masema and his men begin arriving near Perrin's camp. (WH,Ch5)
- Masema brings thousands of Dragonsworn with him. When he hears that Faile was kidnapped by Aiel, he now agrees to Travel to find her. (WH,Ch6)
- Masema sends riders back to Amadicia. He is also meets in secret with Masuri and Annoura. (CoT,Ch5)
- High Lady Suroth gives Masema a letter of safe passage. (CoT,Ch6)
- Masema and a large party of his followers arrive on the scene as Perrin and the others inspect the Darkhound tracks. He tries to convince Perrin to visit the town of So Habor for supplies. (CoT,Ch7)
- Masema does not take out So Habor himself because the town is surrounded by an impenetrable wall. (CoT,Ch26)
- When the Maidens bring in Shaido prisoners, Hari tortures one while Aram, Arganda and Masema watch. Even Masema is shocked when Perrin cuts off the Shaido's hand. (CoT,Ch27)
- Aram spends a lot of time with Masema. (KoD,Ch4)
- In a dream, Rand appears to Masema and tells him to kill Perrin. Masema sends Aram to do the job. (TGS,Prologue)
- As Perrin prepares for the attack on Malden, Masema shows up with a hundred of his men to "keep an eye" on Perrin. (KoD,Ch29)
- Masema and fewer than a hundred of his followers survive the battle. (KoD,Ch30)
- Faile and her Cha Faile followers execute Masema and his remaining followers to prevent them from troubling Perrin any further. (TGS,Prologue)
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In The Great Hunt
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Ch33 - Juilin reports to Nynaeve and Elayne that the Prophet is in Samara.
- TFoH,Ch40 - Nynaeve hopes that either Galad or the Prophet finds a boat in a hurry.
- TFoH,Ch49 - Elayne and Nynaeve tell Egwene that the Prophet is actually Masema.
- TFoH,Ch51 - Egwene tells Rand that the Prophet is actually Masema.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Prologue - The chaos in Ghealdan caused by the Prophet is keeping King Ailron's troops tied up in Amadicia.
- LoC,Ch9 - Queen Alliandre of Ghealdan waffles over the Whitecloaks' offer of a treaty because of uncertainty about the Prophet.
- LoC,Ch10 - Rand wonders what he should do about Masema.
- LoC,Ch28 - Queen Alliandre writes to Rand expressing her concern about the Prophet. Rand thinks he really must do something about the man.
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Ch6 - When Perrin refuses to lead the army, Rand says he has another use for him. This probably references sending him after the Prophet.
- ACoS,Ch26 - Eamon Valda, Rhadam Asunawa and thousands of Whitecloaks ride north to face the Prophet the day before the Seanchan (People) invade Amador.
- ACoS,Ch27 - Perrin and company are in Ghealdan to take him to Rand.
- A Crown of Swords,Glossary - His full name, Masema Dagar, is given.
- In The Path of Daggers
- In Winters Heart
- WH,Ch1 - Perrin is furious when Masema insists on riding all the way to Cairhien.
- WH,Ch2 - Perrin thinks the Wise Ones are plotting to kill Masema.
- WH,Ch3 - As Faile faints from the cold, she thinks about Perrin and Masema.
- WH,Ch5 - Berelain finally tells Perrin the news that Masema was meeting with the Seanchan (People).
- WH,Ch10 - The Black Ajah sisters stayed in Samara even after the Prophet's men swept into Amadicia.
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- CoT,Ch5 - Perrin gets news that Masema is sending riders back to Amadicia. He is also meeting in secret with Masuri and Annoura.
- CoT,Ch6 - Berelain's thief-catchers steal Masema's letter of passage and give it to her. She presents it to Perrin.
- CoT,Ch25 - Perrin does not like leaving his camp for So Habor because he knows Masema has spies, but he figures he will be back before the spies can report.
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Ch12 - Perrin does not bring Aram to Almizar because he will blab to Masema.
- KoD,Ch26 - After Breane tells Aram he has had enough to drink, Aram angrily storms out of Perrin's tent and heads for Masema's camp.
- KoD,Ch30 - Aram tries to kill Perrin because Masema convinced him that Perrin is Shadowspawn.
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Ch9 - Perrin thinks how Aram died just the day before, his heart poisoned by Masema.
- TGS,Ch21 - Masema's few possessions are gone from his tent. Perrin worries what Rand will think about his losing Masema.
- TGS,Ch47 - Tam tells Rand that Perrin has been doing a fine job balancing the Seanchan (People), the Prophet, the Whitecloaks and Queen Morgase.
- In Towers of Midnight
More Category Characters